Leap of Faith (loss of faith?)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Patrick Sun, Mar 3, 2002.

1. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

Let's see...sandwiched in between Friend and Will & grace, I laughed at the 2 slices of bread, but found the "meat" to be unsatisfying as well. The main problem is that the 3rd and 4th wheel of this show just aren't appealing (the guy and the black woman). The guy is a sad sack waving at women who wave back at him, and the black woman is relegated to the "That is wacked!" role. It comes off just too overt, nothing sly or clever at all. And what's with the Brad Pitt look-a-like, is that all it takes for a woman to jump into bed/couch and forsake her impending nuptials? That's just lame and stereotypical lazy writing.

Friends I enjoyed, and Willl & Grace always cracks me up, even their reruns. It's all in the performances and characters, and W&G have 5 of them, all capable of pulling out the stops on getting laughs from their material. LoF doesn't have a charismatic enough leading lady, and Lisa Edelstein is okay, doesn't give me the Hot(tm).

How in the world is Jenny Bicks also an executive producer on this show? What else has she done? Nothing to leave much of a lasting impression on me, that's for sure.

2. Don Black

Don Black Screenwriter

I agree. I can't see what the critics saw in this show. Maybe the next few epsidoes will be better. The whole time I kept thinking that it was a less funny version of W&G.

3. Daniel Kikin

Daniel Kikin Screenwriter

Same here, I couldn't make it through half this show.

4. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

5. Randy Tennison

Randy Tennison Screenwriter

Randy
    Watched the first 15 minutes of the show, then went to surf the net. Call me a prude (I'm not), call me old fashion (I'm not), but I don't like a show where the first thing the main character does is cheat on their fiancee, and we are made to feel that it was a good decision.

#1 rule of tv and movies - don't make the audience dislike your main character.

6. Mark Walker

Mark Walker Producer
    Supporter

Wow! I am shocked by this comments thus far.
    I found the show funnier than anything they
    were doing on Will & Grace that night,
    and, being gay, you'd think I'd prefer W&G.
    I cam upon Leap of Faith totally
    by accident. I was home for the first time
    on Thrusday evening in months, and thought I would
    catch an episode of W&G.
    Well, I loved Leap of Faith.
    If it has any flaw, it may be that it resembles
    Sex In The City too much, minus
    Carrie's clever narration.
    But, I did think the writing was sharp, and
    the dialoge full of great reparte.
    I will make a point of being home this
    Thursday, but it won't be because of W&G.
    Mark

7. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

Hey! I made Seaver's head explode! [​IMG]
    Just checked out Paulson's resume, and now I know why I've never seen her, because I've never noticed her in "What Women Want" and haven't seen anything else she's been in. Plus her lisp drives me nuts (in a bad way).

8. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

Yeah, but it grows back pretty quick - I mean, ::head explodes:: must have popped up five or six times in the "Buffy" threads (remarkably enough, I think Jeff only had something to do with one or two).

9. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

We taped NBC while watching Survivor with friends. Fast forwarded from Friends to Will & Grace. Just don't see the point of getting attached to any Thursday at 8:30 show on NBC when they don't last but 10 episodes.

10. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

I choose not to get the Sci-Fi channel when the #@[email protected]#% cable company decided to put it (along with the Golf channel and Speed Vision) on a channel that requires a digital cable box. I'm "old school" in that way. I hate those digital cable boxes.

11. Larry Seno Jr.

Larry Seno Jr. Supporting Actor

I thought this show was just HORRIBLE. I turned it off in about 10 minutes. Is there ONE likeable character? Lispy main character? No. Slutty best friend? No. The guy from the state that waves at girls? No. The ladies man? Yes, but give him his own show. The ladies man is not boss matieral. The super that is ALSO an actor? Uh, Double no. This show is a waste. ANY show that makes me WISH Inside Schwartz was on is a BAD show!

12. MickeS

MickeS Producer

Larry, I agree with you about the characters. There were no characters to like, feel for, or sympathize with. After the super/actor slept with the bride-to-be, he said to her, about her future husband, "He's a lucky guy". Yeah, really lucky to have a wife who sleeps with a complete stranger after having talked to him for less than 5 minutes.

This show was like a D-grade version of "Sex and the city", without good dialogue, amusing plots or interesting characters. I won't be watching again, if I can avoid it.

/Mike

13. Larry Seno Jr.

Larry Seno Jr. Supporting Actor

Dont forget without the nudity!

14. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

Or the R-rated swearing!

15. MickeS

MickeS Producer

About the lack of nudity... it did seem kind of odd to me that the woman who was with the coffee guy was talking about how wild the sex was, yet we didn't get a glimpse of it. I guess "Sex and the city" has spoiled me. [​IMG]
    And what seemed even weirder was the replacement coffee guy's reaction. Why was he mad at her? I didn't get it, maybe I missed something.
    /Mike