Leaning towards buying DDRMax2 w/Ignition Pad

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Damien, Dec 30, 2003.

1. Damien

Damien Supporting Actor

I have some spare Christmas money, so I'm considering picking up Max2 for PS2(stock songlist is better and bigger then xbox version as $140 is enough to spend on a game to begin with so I won't be paying any money to d/l songs, and the xbox pad selection doesn't cut it) along with the Red Octane Pad Gamestop sells for $100. Since I have never played the series I was wondering exactly how good these games are. Amplitude is on my top 3 list this year for any platform, that's is why I need a new music fix. Do the playlists for Max 1 PS2 and Max 2 PS2 overlap at all? I've been contemplating this for a good while, but every time I have the money in the store something in the back of my mind convinces me to not go through with it.
    I'd appreciate it if people who own either Max 1 or 2 PS2 could give me whatever info they have.

2. Scott L

Scott L Producer

I bought ultramix on xbox for my sis and she wasn't that impressed, considering we already have DDRMax1 and the songlist is very much alike. I was hoping for some Kylie Minogue like in Max2. [​IMG]

If you don't have either Max2 is the one to get.

3. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

I got Max 2 for Christmas and its great. My first DDR game, even though I've played it at various people's houses. The pad I got is wireless (soft pad) and it works really well. A friend of mine has a soft pad that keeps scrunching up, which this one doesn't do, which is good.

4. Damien

Damien Supporting Actor

5. Jeff Cooper

Jeff Cooper Screenwriter

If you are not using a Playstation that can play japanese imports, DDRMAX2 is hands down the best version to own. It has the best music selection, and the best modes of play; nonstop, endless, etc. I have been wanting this one for a while, I went looking for it after Chirstmas, but it was sold out everywhere! I went to 15 different stores, and none of them had it. They had plenty before Christmas, I bet there are a lot more DDR players out there now. I currently have a Cobalt Flux metal pad on order, I can't wait to start playing this. I currently have the XBOX mix, and it is very good too, but I like the music in the playstation version better. The good thing about the XBOX version, is with the downloadable song packs, there can be an endless amount of music in it. Other differences are: XBOX version is much more difficult to get perfects on, the timing has to be very precise, but this can actually help you to get better. Also the XBOX version does not have lesson mode, beginner difficulty, nonstop mode, or endless mode. But it does have online play.

6. AaronArmstrong

AaronArmstrong Stunt Coordinator

I have 2 Cobalt Fluxs. They are incredible. Previously I had 2 of the Ignition pads but they wore out. the cobalt fluxes are nigh indestructable! much more precise than the soft pads. I have the xbox ddr and I am not impressed the music doesn't seem dancable to me like other ddr versions.
    Personally I use Stepmania for the PC for the majority of my bemani needs. Anyway enjoy the games.

p.s. DDR is a great workout for those wanting to start
    a new years weight loss plan

7. Alanna

Alanna Second Unit

I had two Ignition pads and they were horrible. None of the soft pads seem to register correctly and they slide all over the floor unless you manage to secure them down somehow. *very* annoying. I've quit playing DDR due to health issues but as soon as I'm back on my feet I will be getting a Cobalt Flux pad and hopefully one of the arcade machines. I have the Dance Maniax 2nd Mix arcade machine and its one of the most incredibly fun music games around. Its part of the bemani series but didn't do so well in Japan but is awesome. There's really no way to convert it into a home version though. =) For the record I have DDRMax and DDR Konamix. Max 2's songlist was kind of disappointing. I love Bambee and smile.dk and there's just not enough (or none as the case with Bambee) of there stuff released over here. Oh well.

8. Alanna

Alanna Second Unit

Oh and if you like Amplitude there's other cool music games out there for the PS2. Try Guitaroo Man, Mad Maestro, Frequency and Space Channel 5 Sp. Ed. All three are incredibly fun, and Mad Maestro and SC5 are cheap. Guitaroo-Man is crazy and very Japanese and kind of rare now. I got mine from buy.com about a year ago. =)

9. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman
    If you've never played the series, and are hesitant about dropping that much money, then get one of the $19 Mad Catz soft pads. They're not as good as the $100 pads I'm sure, but I have one and it works well enough, and if it turns out that you're not into it, you won't be out $100.

Agreed that the game makes for a good workout!

Now, what you *really* need for a music game is a DreamCast and Samba De Amigo!

10. Alanna

Alanna Second Unit

Samba De Amigo was awesome. =) I didn't even suggest it because the controllers are so hard to find now. I'm still kicking myself that I don't have this one in my permenant collection. ugh.

11. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Samba rocks... if you can find decent marraccas! I have some $30 ones I bought at levelsix.com and they either work 100% or don't work right at all. Most of the time not, very annoying. [​IMG]

12. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

My fiancee loves DDR (and I play some too), and currently has a cheap Mad Catz pad that works, but is getting worse as time goes on. I was going to get her a quality DDR pad for Christmas (but ended up using the money to get her some concert tickets she couldn't afford).

Personally I really don't like hip-hop type music, so I vastly prefer DDRMAX to DDRMAX2. I would rather have the electronica and J-pop songs to the hip-hop on DDRMAX2. I love Burning Heat, though, for 8-bit flavor, on MAX2 [​IMG]

I did a bunch of lurking/reading on the DDR forums, and the general consensus seems to be, for hefty soft pads, the BNS Ultra DX Xtreme pad for $50 is just as good as the soft Red Octane pad for $100 - virtually identical in performance, I guess. Comments on the BNS Metal pads aren't as great as their soft pads, though.

You can find it here:
    http://www.buynshop.com/productinfo/44/VG-DDR-ULTDX/