League of Extraordinary Gentleman and Connery !

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Phil Florian, Feb 22, 2002.

1. Phil Florian

Phil Florian Screenwriter

I read on my PDA's SciFi Channel's Newswire thingy that Sean Connery has signed to play the aging Alan Quartermain in the big screen adaptation of Alan Moore's League of Extraordinary Gentleman , one of the niftier comics to hit the shelves in quite a while. Though thick with literary references, this is one of the "easier" to adapt Moore comics, in my opinion. While I have heard (but sorry to have missed) that From Hell was a great Jack the Ripper flick, it really could only scratch the surface of detail that Moore and Campbell entered into the book. Here's hoping that it is a good one!
    Phil

2. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

I know very little about this project aside from the basic premise, Connery's involvement and what I learned from your post.

So far, it sounds like it could be something pretty cool!

3. BrianB

BrianB Producer

Oh I *hope* they get this right, it could be *extremely* cool.

4. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

It's a great comic; here's a story from Zap2It on the casting.
    I notice they're changing the line-up a little. They appear to be changing the story and line-up a little; I don't remember Dorian Gray or "police detective Thomas Sawyer" (giggle...titter..guffaw) in the original.
    Now if Moore would quit wasting time with Tomorrow Stories and get on with LOEG v2... I want to see what's up with the Martians from the last page!

5. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Cinematographer

I like the Connery casting but the review of the most recent draft of the script sounded horrendous. LOEG is probably the most filmable of Moore's works but they still somehow managed to miss the point and change a ton of stuff so I'm praying that the new draft they're supposedly working on comes out better (although I'm very skeptical that it will).

6. Phil Florian

Phil Florian Screenwriter

Thomas Sawyer?? Dorian Gray?? Cool premises, but I would have liked to see them in print before the movie...grr...there are so many characters that are cool in the original. Sheesh...leave it to Hollywood. I doubt Moore is too worried. I read a good interview with him about his movie propterties. At least on paper, he says once he sells it to the studios, he stops worrying about it and assumes they will do just what they do. Like many say with LOTR, no matter how good (or bad) a book adaptation is, the original work still stands. But Thomas Sawyer?

Was Campion Bond a Victorian era character? I assume he was, but I don't know from where.

Phil

7. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Cinematographer

8. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor