Le Vieux Fusil (The Old Gun) - How to get it on DVD?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Marko Berg, Jan 15, 2004.

1. Marko Berg

Marko Berg Supporting Actor

Is anyone familiar with this 1975 French film by director Robert Enrico? I saw it once on broadcast TV a very long time ago, and I've been interested in finding it on DVD ever since I got my first player. At that time, armed only with my rather vague recollection of the contents of the film and no idea of the title, I went to IMDb, did many vague searches and clicked on a number of search results before finding the correct entry.

It appears this film was once out on DVD at least in Region 2 Europe since Amazon.fr lists it; however all editions (one of which seems to be a Belgian import) seem to be out of print and I missed the opportunity. I knew I should have checked into the availability more often, and now I kick myself.

Is there any interest in a proper R1 release for this film? Does anyone know who might have the rights for its distribution on home video or is it even possible to find out this information? Failing that, does anyone know of a decent OAR release anywhere in the world (I'd prefer NTSC but PAL is an option, any region will do) that is available for purchase?

2. Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov Cinematographer

I have the French DVD, I didn't realize it had gone OOP. No English or Finnish [​IMG] subs though. There are web sites that deal in second hand DVDs in France, you might try looking there.

I recently watched another Enrico/Noiret collaboration that is out on DVD in R2-France called Pile ou face -- a very enjoyable film -- check it out if you haven't seen it.

Ted

3. Marko Berg

Thanks! The various listings for the DVD at the Amazon.fr site are different from one another as far as technical specs are concerned. Can you confirm if the disc is 1.66:1 non-anamorphic? How is the transfer quality?

Buying used is an option, thank you for the tip.

4. Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov Cinematographer

Unless I'm mistaken, the Vieux Fusil disk IS anamorphic, but I'll double check at home. The AR listings at Amazon.fr are pretty much worthless. Too bad Cinestore which used to scan the back covers of DVDs has pretty much bitten the dust.

Ted

5. Vincent Matis

Vincent Matis Second Unit

6. Marko Berg

Thanks for the link, Vincent!