Le Pacte des Loups (Brotherhood of the Wolf) deluxe edition online

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Pierre Gagne, Sep 18, 2002.

1. Pierre Gagne

Pierre Gagne Agent

To all those waiting for the TVA International canadian DVD edition of Le Pacte des Loups (Brotherhood of the Wolf) coming on October 1st dvdenfrancais.com has now come with a review. There are good news and bad news.
    The good news is that you get the same contents found on the limited R2 French edition (except for one minor detail not mentioned on the review) spread on three discs. For those who don't understand French, rest assured as every supplement are english subtitled except for the two commentary tracks. Even the menus are both accessible in French or Engligh.
    The first disc is, of course, the movie which runs 152 minutes (as opposed to the 144 minutes version presented in theaters). Audio options are French DD5.1 et DTS5.1 and English DD5.1. Mathieu (the reviewer) states that the two French tracks are very aggressive and immersive with a powerful LFE channel. Differences between DD and DTS is marginal on this disc, but Mathieu gives a small edge to the DTS track. The English dub track suffers considerably compared to the two French tracks.
    On the negative side, which is the bad news with this release, is the image. When compared to the Universal edition, there are some problems translating in the presence of chroma noise, a loss of details on certain passages and some edge enhancement.
    The two remaining discs are devoted to the extras. There you'll find :
    2 documentaries (Les entrailles de la Bête 78 min. and Les coulisses du tournage 77 min.
    Deleted scenes with introduction (42 min.)
    Interview with Michel Louis (17 min.)
    Storyboards
    Photo gallery
    Trailer
    16 pages booklet.
    I hope I summurized Mathieu's review well. If you want to find out what he says about the movie itself you can read his full review at dvdenfrancais.com. There is also a single disc edition by TVA Internatinal which is, if I understand correctly, the exact same thing as the first of the three disc deluxe edition.
    Pierre

2. Eujin

Eujin Supporting Actor

3. Jim_K

Jim_K Executive Producer

thanks for the info.
    With 2 commentary tracks, 2 langauge tracks, DD5.1 & DTS all crammed on the same disc I was afraid the image quality would suffer. [​IMG]
    I'll be getting the Universal release. I love extras but image quality is more important to me.

4. Adam_S

Adam_S Producer

Adam_S
    DAMN!
    I really wanted the three disc set, but I'll only watch the extras once if that. If the DTS track were significantly better, or the image equal quality I would plunk down the cash for the 3 disc version. As it is I'll be getting the Universal I suppose and print out some decent new coverartwork for it. Image and sound quality are of the highest importance, more so than extras I'll never use to demo, and will enjoy only once, the only thing significantly different is that it's a longer cut, but the original cut was brilliant, and I can live with it.

Adam

5. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

Correct me if I'm wrong on this.... but there are 2 releases of this movie in R1? and from what I understand...
    Universal:
    1 disc
    French 5.1 DD
    Best picture
    TVA:
    1 disc (with 3 disc SE)
    French 5.1 DTS, French 5.1 DD, English 5.1 DD
    Lesser quality picture.
    Unless I am mistaken with my information, I shall have to go with the Universal release. DTS may be good, but such DVDs as Resident Evil, Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring, and Star Wars: Episode 1 the Phantom Menace prove that an excellant DD mix is certainly nothing to sneeze at. And thus, I must go with the better picture quality.
    All in all, no big loss[​IMG]

6. PaulP

PaulP Producer

7. Gregory E

Gregory E Second Unit

Geez. So the Canadian version is longer than the US version by 8 minutes? Are they getting the "Director's Cut" or something? I'm really on the fence about which version to get. Usually I'd take a better transfer over a "marginally" better DTS track. But then again....
    I really wish I knew what exactly was in that 8 minutes. [​IMG]

8. ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson Cinematographer

I've heard that Britney Spears does her first topless scene.

No, really, I'm curious too, as I ordered the 3-disc TVA version as a blind purchase. I'm looking forward to more reviews.

9. PaulP

PaulP Producer

The Canadian edition is a Director's Cut.

10. Bryant Trew

Bryant Trew Second Unit

If you haven't seen this show yet, I strongly recommend that you rent it first. Good grief what a disappointment!

11. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

How bad is the EE?

-Dave

12. Quentin

Quentin Cinematographer

Quentin H
    It's not just the 8 minutes of footage I'd miss, but also the 2 documentaries, 42 minutes of deleted scene footage, a 17 minute interview, and storyboards. That's a LOT of cool extras.

Isn't there EE on the Uni version as well? I think I have to go with the Canadian version...

13. Mark McLeod

Mark McLeod Second Unit

I'm awaiting my review copy which I was told was mailed last Thursday.

Hopefully it shows up tomorrow