What's new

Le DOI SCORPION aka The Scorpion King (1 Viewer)

Trevor H

Second Unit
Well I was picking up my weekly DVD's today and was going to pick up The Scorpion King until I saw the cover, it said "Scorpion King" and under that in big bold letters it says "Le Roi Scorpion" needless to say I put it back on the shelf and I will be ordering it from the US, this is about the worst bilingual cover I have ever seen :angry:
*** Universal Canada you just lost my business ***

Gui A

Supporting Actor
Le Roi Scorpion.
And you're right. It doesn't look good. The 2 Disc SE is worse. The back lists the features of disc one twice (normal), but they also list the tracks for the soundtrack cd twice... in english.
Universal/Alliance/Miramax and Paramount Canada lost my business a long while ago.
http://www.dvdsoon.com/servlet/image...80&quality=0.8

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
You didn't buy it because there was French text on the cover?

Gui A

Supporting Actor
Cover, Spine, Back. Yes.
Aesthetically, it's horrible.

Also, on cardboard cases (Hard Days Night, Pulp Fiction), the paper is of a lighter weigh. Now, it's bad enough when a case is made of cardboard, but when it's made of cheap, thin cardboard, the chances of it being damaged increase.

Bill McA

Senior HTF Member
What's even more galling is that every Canadian online retailer and print flyer always show the U.S. COVER, not the bilingual crap that they are actually selling! :thumbsdown:

jacob w k

Stunt Coordinator
I hate that. The back of my others case is half filled with french. Wish they would just make seperate covers.

Ned

Supporting Actor
We need to make a little banner for this.

Bilingual Cover = NO SALE

Ned

Supporting Actor
The insanely simple solution is to only sell bilingual covers in amaray style cases and include a cover that is printed english on one side, and french on the other. So for those french FANATICS, they can just slip out the cover and reverse it. Or include 2 separately printed covers. Just keep that damn french off my english cover.

Jeremy Allin

Supporting Actor
The insanely simple solution is to only sell bilingual covers in amaray style cases and include a cover that is printed english on one side, and french on the other.
This is what myself and no doubt many others have been thinking also. Why it wasn't done this way is probably an issue of saving some $$$. Heaven knows your solution would be a far more pleasing one for consumers.

Aaryn Chan

Supporting Actor
Where you guys from? Are they selling French cover DVD all over Canada even in Vancouver? It pissed me off here in montreal, and I stopped buying Disney DVDs because there is no other way around, cept ebay.

Future Shop at least sells english cover whenever they can, while wal-mart and maxie always sells french covers.

I just don't see the use of releasing "resident evil" or "panic room" in a french version.

French just can't read or what?

MichaelPe

Screenwriter
I REALLY hope that the upcoming E.T. Ultimate Gift Set and Back To The Future Trilogy will not have bilingual packaging. The US prices for these are outrageous, so I don't want to have to import these. :angry:

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
Sorry guys, I'm still having a bit of trouble understanding this.

Is there something wrong with the movie itself? Is it dubbed in French with no original English track? Did they sacrafice the 5.1 track for a French dub? What exactly is the problem here?

Ned

Supporting Actor
Carl-

Various changes are made to the Canadian releases. On Monsters Inc. the isolated score was dropped and a french language track was added. On Pulp Fiction one of the menus was missing (Jackrabbit Slims). But the main thing is that the covers/spines are marred by french translations of the movie title. Now imagine if every US dvd release had the movie title and a spanish translation of the title under it. Not so appealing is it?

I think I can safely say that most Canadian DVD collectors want the same disc and packaging that the US buyers get.

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
Hi,
On Pulp Fiction one of the menus was missing (Jackrabbit Slims).
Is there a chance you misunderstood something, or am I just not reading you right?
It's not one of the menus that's missing, but the Jack Rabbit Slims menu is missing. Not a menu on the DVD itself, but the actual printed JRS restaurant menu. Pissed me off nonetheless.

Chris

RaulR

Stunt Coordinator
Various changes are made to the Canadian releases. On Monsters Inc. the isolated score was dropped and a french language track was added. On Pulp Fiction one of the menus was missing (Jackrabbit Slims).
Is there somewhere a complete list of all these variations between U.S. and Canadian releases? Now I'm curious as to which of my DVDs are missing something.

Gui A

Supporting Actor
On a similar note, Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back replaces a 192k English 2 channel track for a 384k French 5.1 Track.
A 2nd video angle, which shows the opening credits in French, also shows Alliance Atlantis taking credit for making the movie.
I'm pretty sure the video quality took a slight hit here... You can't double the audio bitrate without taking something away from the video bitrate.

Shane_M

Stunt Coordinator
You can thank the French separtists in PDQ for the French covers. It's funny that as other provinces we have to have bilingual signs on the roads and have to know how to read them their right in French, but if we're in Quebec everything is French with no English translation. (except at tourist attractions)

Thankfully for me I get most of my DVDs from US just to avoid the crapy cover.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks