What's new

LD vs DVD "Who wants to go 15 rounds?" (1 Viewer)

Mattias_ka

Supporting Actor
Lewis Besze, Daniel Law in hong kong have used X9 for around 1500$ incl shipping.
My DVD player is the european version of Sony DVP-S9000ES. It cost around 1800$ new.

Mark B-E

Auditioning
HELLO FRIENDS MARK B-E
REFERENCE TO LASERDISC PRODUCTION (PIONEER JAPAN IN PRODUCTION)
I HAVE PLACED TWO ORDERS FOR ATTACK OF THE CLONES ON LASERDISC.
IF ANYONE IS INTERESTED (5000 ORDERS MINIMUM)
GET DOWN TO YOUR IMPORT DEALER AND THEY SHOULD PLACE AN ORDER. (THIS IS NOT A WIND UP.)

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Lewis, I got my X9 from Daniel too.
[email protected]
He is the guy to deal with. Fedex smashed my first X9 and he got me another one with no hassles. The X9's red laser diode will read rotted LD's until they get really, really bad and reduces ordinary laser speckling down to hard to spot. I run mine through an iscan V2 with a converter cable to component video. I've had the 703 & 79 and they're good players but not in the same league as the X9.
What did you think of the Runco? Several folks who've had the Runco & X9 over on AVS don't think so highly of the Runco anymore. The Runco, I have not seen. It's said to not offer the colour fidelity of the X9 or S9 for that matter. I get the impression that the Runco is just a tad better than a 99 or 97.... Best wishes!

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Lewis, the Runco is based on the Panasonic LX-900. MSB out thar in Kalafornie mod'ed them for Runco. The X9 might be 95/97 based? It weighs the same 38 lb's anyway... I nearly bought the Mac 7020, 97 clone, 3 years ago. I'm glad I didn't, both the X9 and S9 produce a better pic. Best wishes!

Tony Kwong

Supporting Actor
I don't know what the X9 is based on ... I've opened my broken one 2 months ago and it looked like nothing I'm familar with. I've opened every player I've ever used (about 10) and the X9 is amazingly designed!

Brian Fitterman

Stunt Coordinator
Anamorphic while a big benefit isn't the end all be all as Rachael pointed out.
Well maybe not when you spend $5,000 on a good scaler, but when all you have is your TV or even an iScan, anamorphic IS the end all.

When I was changing DVD players, I put my old Denon 3300 in my system until my new one came in. I forgot to put it on 16x9 output. The first disc I put in was for a demo for a new nieghbor. It did not look as good as I thought it should and had to use the TV's scaler. Then I realized what I forgot to do and switched it to 16x9 output. My new friend went WOW, what a difference. And it is a HUGH difference when you do not have good scaler. And yes this holds true for 1:66.1 films as well. There is a big difference when you do not have all the other equipment.

Adam, thanks for the numbers. I did not realize that some of the DTS LD's had such a high bitrate for DTS. I can conceed that one to LD.

Someone also mentioned that they would rather have a softer picture than Edge Enchancment. This is what I believe is the big difference between the two formats. It is more of a preference than anything else.

Mattias_ka

Supporting Actor
When I was changing DVD players, I put my old Denon 3300 in my system until my new one came in. I forgot to put it on 16x9 output. The first disc I put in was for a demo for a new nieghbor. It did not look as good as I thought it should and had to use the TV's scaler. Then I realized what I forgot to do and switched it to 16x9 output. My new friend went WOW, what a difference.
Well, many player do a really bad 16:9 "downscaling" to letterbox.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Lewis, the Runco is based on the Panasonic LX-900. MSB out thar in Kalafornie mod'ed them for Runco.
Wow I was misinformed then,I never had Panasonic player,but since all others like Denon, Mitsu,and Yamaha were rebadged Pioneers,I thought that the Runco was the same.
I guess the MSB "Silver"[or something similarly called] was based on the Pana too? That thing was retailing for 2k!?

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Lewis, I've not seen the MSB player either but I do know it was based on the Panasonic LX-900 too. I'm not too enamoured about MSB products. I bought one of their Digital Directors and it didn't last much longer than the warranty period. It stille works but it drops out momentarily, randomly about every 15 minutes. As far as rebadging goes, most Denon LD players are Pioneer-based, but the LA-3500, their nicest player, is also a LX-900 clone. I do have experience with the Denon and it's a fine player. IMO, the basic LX-900 design is better than the CLD-704/79 but not quite as good as the CLD-99. I wish I knew somebody, like around the block, who had a Runco or MSB Silver. I'd like to see that design with a 3-D comb on board. It's my impression that the two players are the same except that the Runco has more weight added to the frame. Anyway, the folks I've talked to that have seen the X9 and Runco say that the Runco comes up short on colour.
Grant, I think they have exacted their revenge by sending all those cheap VCR's over here!;) Best wishes guyz!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks