LD -vs.- DVD, Should I Buy Them?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Eric Huffstutler, Apr 17, 2002.

1. Eric Huffstutler

Eric Huffstutler Screenwriter

Eric Huffstutler
    I am sure this has been discussed before but wonder...

With all the talk about Laser Rot and knowing many titles that were released on LD have come out on improved DVD's, is it worth purchasing a LD player to buy titles that haven't made it to DVD yet - especially when some can be gotten between the $2-$10 range?

2. Artur Meinild

Artur Meinild Screenwriter

I don't have an LD player myself, as I haven't got space for one. But if I had the space and money I probably would buy one just for the reason you mention, especially if you can get the player and discs pretty cheap compared to DVD.

3. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

"That's the thing, isn't it?"

4. Jay E

Jay E Cinematographer

It depends on what titles you want to buy. If it's more recent popular titles then I would hold off, because these will eventually make their way onto DVD.But if you like classics, foreign or obscure titles then I would say you should invest in a player because many of these films won't make it onto DVD for a long time.

Maybe you should list some titles you are looking to buy if you got a laser player, that might help.

5. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Take a look at this thread on "must-have" LDs (note that it also contains a link to another, similar thread):
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...threadid=63966
    If enough of these titles interest you, then buying a player may make sense. If the titles that interest you are mostly available on DVD, it probably doesn't make much sense.
    M.