LD Players with Component Video?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by John S, Dec 22, 2003.

1. John S

John S Producer

Where there any players built with Component Video at all?

It would just make my video switching life easier is all, and I guess since my TV will Progressively Scan 480i, I suppose it would give me that as well??

2. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

No. Many didn't even have S-video, since LD was a composite format.

(There may be one or two obscure industrial models with component, but I doubt it.)

M.

3. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    You can make an LD player set-up with component video thusly:

Run S-video or composite video into the DVDO iscan model of your choice. Get a conversion cable that takes the 15 pin VGA style conector and converts it to component video.

Is it worth your trouble? Maybe? My iscan V2 has a 3-line comb filter for the composite input. It's good up to an extent. The best LD players to use my set-up are LD players that have really good S-video output: HLD-X9, LD-S9, CLD-97 & Mac 7020, CLD-99, Runco LJ's I & II. If you don't have one of these players you might want to use a video processor that has a 2-D or 3-D comb filter that could better exploit LD composite signals. Most LD players have better composite video than S-video...

4. John S

John S Producer

Thanks for the responses.

I guess, I am living with svideo for now.

I have not tried my composite into my new TV yet.
    Because of the PITA factor it would take to even try it.

You really swear on that composite thing over svideo right????? If I go to the trouble of try'n it, and it is worse, can I at least come back on here and bitch about it????? lol

On my old TV the composite was much much worse, than my svideo connector.

5. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    John, what player is it? I've seen them all. If it's not one of the ones I mentioned, you should proably be using the composite output. What comb filter is in your TV? As long as you're going straight into it, you're looking for the signal path that seperates LD's native composite video the best. Best wishes from Laserland![​IMG]

6. Grant B

Grant B Producer

Rachael
    There is a used IScan Plus for sale, do you think it would be much of an improvement between a sony XBR and an elite 79?
    My present DVD player is not progressive but when I hooked up a friends new progressive scan there wax no difference. That kind of makes me wonder if the IScan Plus will be a plus
    Happy Holidays
    Grant

7. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Grant, what is your XBR? 400, 450, 800, other? My XBR is a 450 and the iscan (V2) de-interlaces LD and satelite better than the TV will. It's closer with DVD players and harder to tell. Murray Chris-mess![​IMG]