LD Player w/Component Video?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by John S, Mar 7, 2005.

1. John S

John S Producer

I should know the answer to this one....
    But I have to wonder still.

Look at the picture of the rear of this player? Is this Component Video Out? Or could this be adapted to Component Video Out.

RGBSync BnC connectors? I'd be looking for 480i Component Video out of it somehow.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...755938761&rd=1

Thanks in advance

2. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Probably (possibly) RGB 480i. Some LD players for professional (university, corporate) use had these connectors. The base format itself was composite though so you'd probably get a better picture going composite into any modern display.

3. John S

John S Producer

Hmm, so I can do this????

My display offers line doubling on a special 480i Component Input. Would be sort of cool to use it for my LD player. The display has a pretty awefull 3 line comb filter in it.

I ran a 480i DVD player to the sort of specialized input, and the results were pretty impressive.

So I can take that BnC out put, and get into my 480i component input fairly easily via an adapter?

4. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

I'd be willing to guess that LD player has a truly horrible notch filter. [​IMG]

5. Randy C Sr

Randy C Sr Stunt Coordinator

It looks like Composite Video out to me. I remember using these for training classes quite some time ago.

6. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

I don't know anything about this model, but clearly this was intended for professional use. Is it even a laser disc player? The description only says "Optical Disc Player" and I don't see the Pioneer LD insignia, but maybe this wasn't required on pro machines. Output is RGB, which must be transcoded to component (better left as RGB), and S-Video.

Pretty interesting machine. That "missing some kind of caddy that holds the disk" statement puzzles me. Consumer LD didn't use a caddy. CED did, but the date of manufacture is February, 1993, well after the demise of CED.

7. John S

John S Producer

Just with LD Player pricing what it is these days.'

I'd go for one that had this capability. But I am weak, on RGB BnC Connections in general. I am more looking to find a specific model number of one, not really to buy this particular offering off of ebay.

8. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

I think LD players are pretty cheap these days on ebay aren't they?

9. BrianWoerndle

BrianWoerndle Supporting Actor

Those are RGB BNC connectors, meant for computer monitors. That will most likely not work with the YPbPr connectors on your TV.
    That was obvoiusly a piece of computer hardware back in the time.

10. John S

John S Producer

Thanks Brian.. I had actually thought it could be adapted with simple electrical type connector. I guess not.

I thought you just tied the sync and green together or something like that. Seen a lot of Sun Sparkstation stuff back in the day with the BnC stuff, but really don't remember anything much about it these days.

11. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    If you want componet out for your LD player get an iscan or other de-interlacer. However, the benefits will be limited unless you have one of the great players: HLD-X9, LD-S9, CLD-97, Runco LJ-I or II to feed the thing-y.

12. John S

John S Producer

Thanks for some specific model numbers. I get decent enough performance now. Just would allow me some additional connection versatility is all, for probably very little money, and well heck another backup player. [​IMG]

I do see myself eventually getting some sort of scaler product though.

13. ChristopherDAC

ChristopherDAC Producer

This is NOT a LD player, and is not compatible with LaserDisc. It is a professional optical disc format for studio recording purposes, using [at a high-order guess] an analog component format like BetaCam. [You will note the "dub" connector on the back for passing the raw signal.] This is why it requires a caddy-loading disc. There were several such formats produced by Sony, Panasonic, and other manufacturers, intended for medium-term storage of frequently used video clips and so forth. If you had a few of the recordable/rewritable discs, it would sure be keen to have, but it is really of marginal utility.

14. Chris S

Chris S Cinematographer

Chris S
    I thought I had heard at one time that most LD's were sourced from a composite video feed. That may be wrong (and somebody please correct me if it is) but it would be worth noting when looking for used LD players.

Chris S.

15. John S

John S Producer

Yes, all of them are sources from Composite video. I mean, that is the way it is on the media itself even.

I actually still have never seen one that had Component Video out. I tested the upconversion on my new Pioneer 1014 last night, and no thanks.. It was gawd aweful.

As said, I do see a scaler in my future. Would really make my life simple, if I had one device that could take any input, and give me quality 1080i out on Component Video.

I have to many projects a head of that though, so the scaler is probably a year or more away for me.

16. greg_t

greg_t Screenwriter

There aren't any ld players with component outputs. Even S-video out isn't great expect with the high end players.

In my opinion, as far as LD is concerned, the best thing you can do is get a quality player. Nothing else will give you a bigger benefit. I've hooked up my ld player to an Iscan Ultra running 480p. I hooked into it using S-video and output DVI to my TV and even using the Ultra's non-anamaphoric scaling there wasn't much improvment. I actually prefered just running S-video directly to my TV. Better scalers may get you more, but I think the best thing to do is to get the best player you can.

17. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

I recently put my 704 in my office to do some LD capturing for DVD creation, there it will stay for a long time to come as I've got a lot of OOP stuff I care about that I want to capture. I put my lowly 406 backup player in the main theater and I'm shocked at how good it looks when scaled and doubled by the Faroudja chip in my X1.

18. ChristopherDAC

ChristopherDAC Producer

The only time you might get a "component" output on LD, since it is a native composite format [higher quality than a colour-under format, even a hi-band one like S-VHS; higher quality in fact than anything except maybe 2" Quad tape], is on certain dual-standard PAL/NTSC players which dumped a low-quality RGB feed via the SCART connector for the sake of displays flexible enough to do 525/30 but lacking NTSC decoder circuits. It's not a generally useful feature, though you could use it to drive a computer monitor through an adaptor. Unfortunately many items of video hardware are not engineered by people who expect a composite source to be higher quality than a separated source, so you may run into trouble finding a scaler which fits you; but I would expect that running composite out of the LDP is the way to go if at all possible.

19. Randy C Sr

Randy C Sr Stunt Coordinator

John if you are looking for a LD player I have one in excellent condition that I retired. I also have a separate AC3 RF demodulator. I know this is not the place to sell things so if you are interested email me at racvon@excite.com