LD Player longevity

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by PeteD, Nov 15, 2001.

1. PeteD

PeteD Stunt Coordinator

Hey guys,
    Not sure if this belongs in the polls section or not but because this isn’t merely a poll I figured it’s best put here..
    After three attempts I finally have a working Laserdisc player.
    The first one (free) was an educational model from Pioneer, year of manufacture was around 83ish. It would play a disk for about 10 minutes before having what’s best described as a hiccup. The sound would cut completely out, and I’d be left with a picture that vaguely resembled Macrovision.
    Destination: Landfill.
    The second one was a Pioneer 1070 ($200 CDN) bought from an acquaintance that worked OK for two weeks and then started to sporadically have problems with the overlay card. I’d be watching a movie, and these fragmented Japanese characters started appearing all over the screen. When the player was in stop mode, the outboard video board would cycle through about a hundred colours simultaneously. Looks like a tv being pushed way out of range.
    Destination: Storage.
    The final one is also a Pioneer 1070 ($175 CDN) bought from a guy who posted a for sale sign at my GF’s work. This guy was great! He gave me 30 really good discs with it as well as a "take it home, if you don’t like it, return it in a couple of days for a full refund" clause!
    So far it’s working flawlessly!
    Which brings me to the point. How many laserdisc players have you guys gone through in how many years? Do they tend to be this temper mental? Should I expect this thing to die in a year? A friend of mine also had a pioneer for the last 6 years, and he had problems with the AD converter. Cost him $400 (CDN) to fix from Pioneer themselves…
    Have I just begun a hobby in collecting Chevy Nova’s?
    Pete.

2. Andy W

Andy W Stunt Coordinator

I have purchased three laserdisc players, all Pioneer, all used heavily, and all still in service. None have ever needed repair (see my one caveat below about the CLD-704).
    The models are LD-700 (purchased August, 1986), LD-S1 (purchased July, 1988), and CLD-704 (purchased September, 1996).
    Admittedly, the CLD-704 has developed an intermittent problem where it sometimes takes a long time (about 30 seconds) to eject a disc, but other than that, none of my players have malfunctioned in any way.

3. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

First LD player (ca. 1990) secondhand for USD 100. An industrial grade Discovision from before the time of digital sound. Worked OK except that when playing a disk with digital sound, there were thin horizontal streaks that flashed here and there, particularly in red or yellow colored areas. Sold for $90. ca. 1993. No S-video out.
    Second LD player (ca. 1991) Pioneer VP-1000 or something like that secondhand for $100. with about 40 movies thrown in for another $25. Already had an intermittent problem of not spinning up the disk when I hit play, got gradually worse over 8 years at which time I sold it for $25. ca. 1999. No S-video out.
    Third LD player (ca. 1999) secondhand for $100. Pioneer CLD-A100 still going strong. No S-video out.
    Fourth LD player (2001) secondhand for $50. Pioneer CLD 3070 still goin strong. Mediocre comb filter in my opinion.
    I believe that low to mid grade LD players are not worth fixing. Also I believe that with a library of LD's you'd better have a second player as a backup since who knows how long LD players will be available for purchase.
    Other video hints: http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm
    [Edited last by Allan Jayne on November 15, 2001 at 11:21 AM]

4. Ergin Guney

Ergin Guney Agent

Pete,
    I think the key to the mystery you're facing may be hidden in the cost figures that you've quoted in your message. I don't mean to sound offensive but, even with the drop in laserdisc player prices following the advent of DVD, one can hardly expect such cheapo secondhand laserdisc players to provide world-class reliability.
    Personally, I had paid over US$700 in 1994 for my one and only laserdisc player. It's still going strong without a single glitch...

5. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

My Pioneer CLD-D502, bought in 1993, started having trouble with the auto-flip mechanism when it was about 3 years old. It was soon replaced with a DVL-909 so I haven't bothered getting it fixed. I've also got a LD-660 made in 1984 (top-loading, analog sound only) that I rescued from next to a dumpster(!) that's worked fine every time I've played with it. The delay in ejecting BTW is caused by the player's brake system failing one way or another, so the player waits for the disc to stop spinning by itself before it ejects it to avoid damaging it.

6. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

CLD-79. 4 years old. A few quirks, but no serious problems.
    Yep. I notice the eject delay too. Its hard to explain it, but if you press eject at the right time, it ejects right away, very quickly. When you are watching the LD and press stop, you will hear 2 successive mechanical movements. I got it down to where if I pressed eject at the exact time, it ejected almost instantly, and very fast. Sometimes, if I press eject at a random time, the player just says ELECT and sits there for a minute and then ejects. Otherwise, my CLD-79 has a weird DTS quirk where it won't output DTS unless I first play a digital (non DTS) or DD AC3 disc.
    My player is a CLD-79 and I bought it used in about May 2001. It came with 17 discs and the discs looked moderately used, so I would assume the player has had a fairly large amount of use. The player works fine otherwise.

7. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    The LD-838D, my first player, which I got in 1987, is stille in use. I used it for six years and it began to mistrack. All it needed was a lens cleaning. My brother has it now. At this point it's on his bedroom TV and is very lightly used. Video wise, it's a pretty good player. It does digital sound, that's what the "D' signifies. It doesn't have a digital output though. BTW, for video it has both composite and RF out.
    Between 1990 and 1994 I went thru a bunch of players looking for some degree of video nirvana. What I didn't buy back then was the $2000 to $3000 players (CLD's 92, 95, 97 & LD-S2). That would have hurt my disc aqquesistion plans too hard. Back then, what I really wanted was the double drawer model, I can't remember it's model#. I came close to ordering one from J & R Music World when they had them for $1400.
    Anyway, the point, if there is one, is that in those days the picture quality of all the Pioneer players was pretty similar unless you had one of the high dollar players. Down the rest of the line, you mostly paid for sound quality, digital field memory, and auto-flip. Well, the 3080 & 701, 702, and 703 did give you a touch less noisier pcture if you had a nice enough TV for it to be particularly relevant, which wasn't necessarily so back then.
    The players of that era mostly did 47 or 48 db on the video signal to noise ratio. The Elite CLD's 52 & 53 both do a little better 49db maybe 50db, tops. The vague, continuing point here is that, anything but the very best players from this era have a very mediocre pictue, by today's standards especially!
    I thought Pioneer's 1995 models were a leap across the board, pic wise. Even the $300 CLD-S104 had a real nice 49db pic. If I was looking for a used player, I'd scope out a 1995 model.
    CLD-S104 - single side, no advanced sound features...
    CLD-S304 - same as the 104 but add AC-3 out
    CLD-D504 - add autoflip, 50 db
    CLD-D604 - add optical dig out & Kary-oh-kee
    CLD-D704 - add a real decent comb filter for credible S-Video output, 51 db & coaxial digital out, digital field memory
    Elite models
    CLD-59 - same pic quality as the the 504 and 604 but with really good sound! AC-3 and coaxial dig out, DFM
    CLD-79 - about the same pic as the 704 and great sound
    CLD-99 - has a 3-D comb filter and very low video noise. The comb fiter alone proably added 400 to $500 to the price
    1997's 406 and 606 would be other used models to look for. Pete, how long can a 1980's 1070 last? It's pretty darn old. If you like it, you'd really like a newer, proably better player. Despite it's lack of sound features the S104 makes a better pic. I know, I had one.
    I think LD players generally last a long time, but I would recommend patience and that people think twice about buying players from before 1995, unless they're either damn cheap or CLD's 97 & 95 or LD-S2s, or maybe the 702 & 703.
    Players to absolutely avoid!!!!
    CLD's 980 & 990, Pioneer cut too many corners to make these budjet models. Most laser aligment problems are fatal. They are difficult and frequently impossible to fix. Not to mention that these are prehistoric models! I'm not to high on the LD/ 5 CD changers. A friend had one and I wasn't impressed. A technican buddy told me they break way more than other models.
    1995 was a very good year for LD players, me thinks! Best wishes from Laserland!
    ------------------
    Rachael, the big disc cat! "...in a democracy it don't matter how stupid you are you stille get an equal share..."
    I survived the AFI top 100 Film Challenge! I've seen them all.

8. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

9. JerryW

JerryW Supporting Actor

I love my CLD-99 and my CLD-D605, they're both outstanding players for their price points. The CLD-99 puts out video that's easily on par with non-progressive DVD.
    ------------------
    September 11, 2001
    "Those who died will always be remembered.
    Those who killed will never be forgotten.
    We who remain will not let it happen again."

10. Patrick R. Sklenar

Patrick R. Sklenar Second Unit

Pete,
    I'm still on my first LDP. It's a Pioneer CLD-3080 that was purchased in August of 1986. It's gone through three moves and thousands of hours of playback with no problems what so ever.
    Hth,
    ------------------
    pat----
    email: [email protected] ---===--- Finally! A home page ... Grumpy's Lair