LD Player Hookup?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by BrianDD, Oct 9, 2002.

1. BrianDD

BrianDD Agent

I have just stumbled into a free Denon laserdisc player that has an AC-3 RF digital output. Does anyone know if there is any adaptors available that will let me convert this into a straight digital coaxial output so I can connect it to my Sony STR-DA5ES reciever? This reciever has no RF input.

2. greg_t

greg_t Screenwriter

You have to get an RF demodulator off ebay, or sometimes they pop up on the hardware for sale forum here. The RF demodulator will convert the RF signal from the LD player into a digital form that you can then feed to your recievers digital inputs. I got mine, a Yamaha, off ebay new for $125.

3. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Brian, I'm gonna assume that the Denon has an optical output too because all of the Denons I've seen did. You use the optical out for PCM & DTS. The AC-3 RF output is only for AC-3 (Dolby Digital) and has to be demodulated as previously noted by Greg.

Be sure you hook up the analog L & R audio pair so you can play the analog tracks if needed. Some older LD's have only analog sound. Alternate languages and comentary tracks are occasionally on the analog channels. The analog outputs will output, PCM processed by the player's D/A converters and analog audio. You cycle through the soundtracks available out the analog outputs with a button on your remote. DTS must always passed from the player via optical/coaxial digital to a DTS processor. Have fun with you new player! Best wishes from Laserland!

4. BrianDD

BrianDD Agent

Actually, this Denon is re-branded Pioneer and only has an RF output in addition to the L + R.
    http://www.laserdiscarchive.co.uk/la...non_la2300.htm
    I didn't realize the demodulators would be so hard to find and so expensive. I think I might just stick to PLII and forget the DD. Thanks for your replies.