What's new

LD PCM vs. DVD audio quality comparison (1 Viewer)

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Hector!

Alex, you're right...we even covered that in the review thread (you may have contributed I can't remember)

dave :)

Hector.B

Stunt Coordinator
So I've read on the net that the Mimic LD PCM stereo surround track has stronger bass than both the Dolby Digital LD and the DTS LD. I have the DTS LD and have always been impressed by the surround activity and thought the bass was also very good. So I'm curious to find out first hand. Later on today I'll compare the PCM track on my DTS LD and see what I determine. This is actually pretty fun! :D

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
Err, no you won't. Why? Because dts replaces PCM on LaserDisc. what you have there is a CX analog matrix track, which is a rather different thing. AC-3 LDs also have PCM and one channel of analog in addition to the 5.1; dtsLDs have only the dts and the analog stereo.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Good catch ChrisDAC! I had forgotten that the DTS on laserdisc (and CD) is "packed" in red-book form to look like 16/44.1 PCM to the transport...and that it uses the same data-space on laser...

:emoji_thumbsup:

Hector.B

Stunt Coordinator
Hey ChrisDAC,
thanks for the info...now i have to buy the AC-3 laserdisc to get the stereo surround track...:angry:

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
Well, you've got the stereo surround track… you just don't have it in digital form. The analog-FM audio on LaserDiscs is very high quality, as much as people exalt "digital" these days. On the other hand, it has its limitations, and the various matrix processors seem to work much better on a digital input signal than an analog one. You might try out the analog audio and see what you think.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks