What's new

LD Gurus, need your help (1 Viewer)

Peter Doten

Agent
About 3 months ago, I started thinking over getting a Laser Disc player. I figured there was a large and somewhat inexpensive library out there, and the players could be had on e-bay for somewhat cheap. I didn't really know what to look for in a player and ended up bidding on a Pioneer CLD-S201 which I won. The player got damaged in transit so that the tray wouldn't open. I ended up getting my money back (through UPS) but I needed to look for a player again. I ended up bidding (and winning) a Sony MDP-500. I figured Sony video equipment was usually very good, so why should this be any different.

I get the player and hook it up through s-video (using Monster Ripoff video 3) pop in True Lies and my jaw drops, at the picture quality, but not how good it is, but how bad. I tried using a different cable, and even using composite video (to bypass the player's comb filter) and the problem remains Picture Noise, Picture Noise, and more Picture Noise. I have True Lies on DVD and compared the two, switching back and forth. The difference in detail and resolution wasn't that great, but there is so much more noise on the LD.

I am stumped where to go on this. The last time I saw LD was in a Hi-Fi shop a few years back and I thought it looked amazing. Since then I have moved and the shop isn't near me at all (different part of the state). I don't know if maybe I got a bum player or if perhaps the Sony wasn't very good to begin with. Maybe my sights were set to high?

Any advice would be appreciated.
-Pete

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
LD has better picture resilution than VHS, and you can skip to a different chapter fast, good still frames, you might be able to do Digital audio, and they have good extras...but that was all before DVD. I had about 200 laserdics, now i have 20...i sold them after i saw how GREAT DVD looked. DVD beats laserdisc and tape in so many ways. The big problem for me (incuding tape) was chroma noise....reds, and blues would glow, and smear, and pulse with rolling bands of brightness. Analog picture just wont cut it now. Dont get me wrong, i loved LD...but why would you want to buy it now?

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
the problem remains Picture Noise, Picture Noise, and more Picture Noise
That has always been a problem with LD. It used to look "amazing" because it had better resolution than any other home video source, but once DVD came along, the weaknesses of the format became much more apparent -- and noise was the biggest weakness of all.
Unlike with DVD players, the law of diminishing returns doesn't apply. Spending big bucks on an LD player really does get you an immediately noticeable improvement in image quality, primarily because the image is cleaner.
If you check the laserdisc guide in the HTF Primer and FAQ, you'll find a detailed listing of players ranked by quality. You'll also see that Sony players are not well-regarded. I suspect you're getting about the best image from it that you're going to get. Sorry.
M.

greg_t

Screenwriter
Like Michael stated, the Sony players are not well regarded. I don't know much about the Pioneer CLD S201 player, but I do not it is not one of their great players. I would suggest you look for a Pioneer CLD 703 (NO AC-3 out for Dolby Digital), CLD 704 (Has AC3 out), Elite 79, Elite 97, and Elite 99. All of those are considered above average players. They are in order of lowest price and video quality to higher price and video quality. LD video quality can vary greatly from lower end players to the higher end players. Unless you get on of the high end japanese LD players, like the Pioneer S9 or X9, you won't get dvd quality from a ld.

Also, depeding on what type of TV you have, you might want to hook up your Sony LD player to your TV via composite output. The reason being is that when you use s-video from ld to tv, you use the comb filter in the LD player. When you connect the two via composite, you use the comb filter in the TV. It may be that your TV has a better comb filter than the LD player, which is often the case. I suggest you give it a try and see if you get any improvment.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I tried using a different cable, and even using composite video (to bypass the player's comb filter) and the problem remains Picture Noise, Picture Noise, and more Picture Noise.
Certainly sounds familiar! My first foray in to laser disc was a Mitsubishi player back in 1996, and I immediately noticed the noise.

I took it back and picked up a one-year-old Pioneer CLD-D503, and the improvement was dramatic. Mind you, this is a player that Rachel B labels only as “average,” but it was far superior to the Mits. I had no complaints with the picture and I enjoyed this player very much while I had it.

I’d suggest re-selling the Sony and trying to pick up one of the player that Rachael B recommends.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Pete, I wish you'd read my guide to players before you bought the Sony. Every U.S. model is on my list of players to be avoided. Try this:
******link now working*******
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...355#post577355
This could help you with a buyng strategy? I hope. Sorry about your Sony. Maybe it'll make a decent CD player or you can sell it. The sad truth is that in LD, Sony stands with baloney. They did make some quality players for Japan but sent zero of them here. Word up, and the word is Pioneer! Best wishes!

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
No, your LD primer hasn't moved. I don't know if you noticed, but your section of the primer is already linked in my message above.

I've also fixed the link in your message, and it works. I suspect you were trying to copy the link by blocking and copying a prior example. Don't. Put your cursor over the existing link, right click and select "copy shortcut".

M.

Peter Doten

Agent
Thanks for the responses everyone. I suppose if I pulled my head out of my arse and looked around I could have found your laser disc primer before I bid on any of this. I also bid on a marantz and a yamaha which I didn't win, I guess it's better that way, as you don't seem to think they are very good.

Rachael, on E-bay pioneer commercial players pop up all the time and are usualy very cheap, are any of these worth looking into?

If there are any members near Albany, NY whom have a very good LD player and would like to show me what they are worth I would apreciate it.

-Pete

edit: The TV I use is a SONY KV-27V42 that is about 2 years old. It has a (1 line) digital comb filter, so that might give you some refference as to why the composite connection I tried didn't make much difference.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Peter, I've never kept up much with the commercial players. I do know there are some models with hi-end composite output. Somebody here on the forum will know. There are alot of commercial players around. We had about ten of them at a car dealership I used to work out. Every one of the monitors in the showroom had a player. Those pretty car videos were too good to be tape.

You'd proably be better off with a consumer player. Then, you can get all the sound options if need be. Decent S-video output from a 703/704/79/DVL-91 or better would likely be the ticket on your set. Be patient and fish for one of the better players. You'll manage one in a month or two, I'm sure. Any pawn shops in your area to snoop around in? LD players show up there from time to time. A latter day Pioneer averge pic player will beat the Sony you dislike. Players like the CLD's 59, 504, 605 or DVL's 909 & 919 would offer a more moderate improvement in pic. Best wishes!

Phil Nichols

Second Unit
Mike,
I'm not sure how much you're willing to push things through tweaking in pursuit of better video, but in case you're interested I recommend putting this box between your LD player and your display:
http://www.avtoolbox.com/cmt-7.htm
This gives you component-based LD video signals and with component video signals you can use an $8 Radio Shack attenuator to precisely set reds in you image.
Of course before you attempt anything like this inexpensive upgrade, you should get a copy of VE for LD off eBay to start out with in your calibration tweaking. :emoji_thumbsup:

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Sorry you didn't read ahead. I remember back int he day my first player was a Pioneer CLD-S201 that I got in late 94 I think for about $250. In '95 I replaced it with a $899 list ($599 floor model) Sony top-of-the-line MDP-650. The Expensive Sony had a significantly worse picture than the cheap Pioneer. Not slightly worse, but way worse. I sold the 650 on alt.video.laserdisc for $100 less than I had bought it for and got a CLD-D704.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation380
Recent bookmarks