1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

LD DVB418: Yay? Nay?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Scott H., Nov 6, 2004.

1. Scott H.

Scott H. Auditioning

I did some searching on Google and here for opinions of the DVB418, but didn't really find much, so I figured I'd ask here.

I'm helping my dad put together a HT setup (asked TV questions over in the display area - won't reiterate those here [​IMG] ) and, after some reading, the LG DVB418 caught my eye. It's right at the high end of the DVD player budget ($199 at Best Buy), and certainly has an impressive enough list of specs. I have a few questions, though:

1) First off, anyone here actually play with it and put it through the paces? Is it any good?

2) The TV we settle on will most likely be at least 57" and have an HDMI input. Is the upscaling on this, or any DVD player, worth the extra money? Is there a noticable improvement?

3) Some of what will be watched on this player will be 4:3 material. Does this player have any ways of dealing with this, or does it throw up the sidebars?

4) Is there any region-free/PAL-to-NTSC capability hidden away in the player? :wink:

Finally, if the LG unit isn't worth it, anyone have any recommendations for a player in the ~$200 range that is?

2. EricRWem

EricRWem Screenwriter

Adrik