What's new

LCR Monitor (1 Viewer)

EddieMata

Agent
Is a speaker that is said to have dual purpose, center and LCR monitor, can it be used as front speakers? I'm not sure I understand LCR monitor. I tried to look it up in the glossary provided, however only the term monitor was defined. If I could get some clarity I would appreciate it.

THANKS!

Eddie

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
LCR = left-center-right

Meaning the speaker system in question may be used as a left main or right main or center-channel unit.

EddieMata

Agent
Will there be an audible difference if I were to use one for each such channl (left-main, center, right-main)? Being that they would have same output specs (wattage,etc.)? Or is it best to have the mains vary from the center?

Thanks again for all the good feedback!

Eddie

SethH

Senior HTF Member
Many actually prefer having identical speakers across the front. The reason most people do not do this is because most speakers are not sheilded so it can cause problems with the television. If you are using a projector, then by all means get three identical speakers for L-C-R. If your using a "regular" television, then you'll probably need a dedicated center speaker for the sheilding.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Eddie,

It’s best for the center speaker identical to the mains if possible, for better timbre matching. Speakers designated as L/C/R are ideal for this.

In this case all three would be identical speakers, with the same specs, power ratings, etc. There would be no difference in the way they sound, except for what comes with normal room placement. For instance, if the left and right speakers would end up sounding somewhat different if one was near a corner, or if one was near an open doorway. Same thing if the center one was placed in an upper compartment of an entertainment center.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks