What's new

LCOS HDTV Technology - any good?? (1 Viewer)

I saw this set for $2499. The picture looked outstanding. The salespeople were telling me it is the next big technology and better than DLP or LCS, no burn-in or convergence issues. ....and a whopping 55" of HDTV loving. Does anyone have one? Heard anything bad about it??What are the negatives of LCOS technology?? Is it better than LCD or Plasma?

Thank you ahead of time.

TV is
PHI55PL9774
55" LCOS WIDESCREEN HD MONITOR
This Philips 55" LCoS HD Monitor features Pixel Plus™ technology that creates more detail, texture, resolution and high-definition-like images from any source

Andrew Grall

Supporting Actor
Yes, the Philips LCoS is subject to the rainbow effect because it is a 1-chip design.

The JVC DILA (also LCoS) is a 3-chip design - no rainbow effect.

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Are you sure about this? I could have sworn I saw rainbows on the JVC D-ILA. Then again, I was seeing rainbows on a handful of DLP RPTVs in the same store, so maybe my brain was still flashing them when I looked at the JVC.

Michael

Mort Corey

Supporting Actor
The Phillips initially had quite a few problems. I don't know if they remedied their issues but my local stores haven't re-stocked them after the initial failures. The JVC unit is pretty new but I've read that there are some problems with their light engine.

Mort

Andrew Grall

Supporting Actor

You should not see rainbows on the JVC set. There is no color wheel like in the DLP sets. There are no moving parts.

mike wazonek

Auditioning
From what I have heard this model is philips third generation of LCOS and I would tend to believe that Philips has worked out any of the bugs the initial models had - Philips has discontinued production of the LCOS television to concentrate more on the LCD and plasma televisions. For the price of this tv with the pixel plus for SDTV it certainly seems like a real bargain.

Wazy

Gabriel_Lam

Screenwriter
The Philips is a 1-chip system, but fewer people TEND to see rainbows with them because of their spinning prism color system instead of the spinning colorwheel with DLP machines. Some people still experience the rainbow effect, but it's reasonably rare.

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
All projection TV's may have thin omnipresent rainbows on subject matter near the screen borders because of lens imperfections (chromatic aberration). Eyeglasses may, depending on the angle of view, accentuate or cancel these rainbows. This is not "the rainbow effect".

LCoS is substantially the same as LCD but with a slightly darker black level.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks