LCOS HDTV Technology - any good??

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Robert Zawacki, Dec 3, 2004.

1. Robert Zawacki

I saw this set for $2499. The picture looked outstanding. The salespeople were telling me it is the next big technology and better than DLP or LCS, no burn-in or convergence issues. ....and a whopping 55" of HDTV loving. Does anyone have one? Heard anything bad about it??What are the negatives of LCOS technology?? Is it better than LCD or Plasma?

Thank you ahead of time.

TV is
    PHI55PL9774
    55" LCOS WIDESCREEN HD MONITOR
    This Philips 55" LCoS HD Monitor features Pixel Plus™ technology that creates more detail, texture, resolution and high-definition-like images from any source

2. Ryan Wishton

Ryan Wishton Screenwriter

Does this have the rainbow effect like DLP?

3. Andrew Grall

Andrew Grall Supporting Actor

Yes, the Philips LCoS is subject to the rainbow effect because it is a 1-chip design.

The JVC DILA (also LCoS) is a 3-chip design - no rainbow effect.

4. Michael Mohrmann

Michael Mohrmann Screenwriter

Are you sure about this? I could have sworn I saw rainbows on the JVC D-ILA. Then again, I was seeing rainbows on a handful of DLP RPTVs in the same store, so maybe my brain was still flashing them when I looked at the JVC.

Michael

5. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

JVC front projectors are all 3-chip; JVC RPTV's are all 1-chip.

6. Mort Corey

Mort Corey Supporting Actor

The Phillips initially had quite a few problems. I don't know if they remedied their issues but my local stores haven't re-stocked them after the initial failures. The JVC unit is pretty new but I've read that there are some problems with their light engine.

Mort

7. Andrew Grall

Andrew Grall Supporting Actor

You should not see rainbows on the JVC set. There is no color wheel like in the DLP sets. There are no moving parts.

8. mike wazonek

mike wazonek Auditioning

From what I have heard this model is philips third generation of LCOS and I would tend to believe that Philips has worked out any of the bugs the initial models had - Philips has discontinued production of the LCOS television to concentrate more on the LCD and plasma televisions. For the price of this tv with the pixel plus for SDTV it certainly seems like a real bargain.

Wazy

9. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

The Philips is a 1-chip system, but fewer people TEND to see rainbows with them because of their spinning prism color system instead of the spinning colorwheel with DLP machines. Some people still experience the rainbow effect, but it's reasonably rare.

10. EricRWem

EricRWem Screenwriter

Adrik
    Anyone here own one of these JVC bad boys? How ya like it?

11. Mike Milillo

Mike Milillo Stunt Coordinator

12. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

All projection TV's may have thin omnipresent rainbows on subject matter near the screen borders because of lens imperfections (chromatic aberration). Eyeglasses may, depending on the angle of view, accentuate or cancel these rainbows. This is not "the rainbow effect".

LCoS is substantially the same as LCD but with a slightly darker black level.

Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm