What's new

LCoS, DLP or good ol' CRT RPTV? (1 Viewer)

triodelover

Auditioning
Real Name
Phil

OK, I think this is the third time I've written this. The seats are ~25 feet from the room's front wall. The speakers are ~9.5 feet into the room. The screen will be located approximately in the plane of the speakers' front baffles. That makes the viewing/listening distance around 15 feet or thereabouts.

To close out this thread, I've abandoned the RPTV idea completely. Subsequent research proven out the validity of Alon's and others' comments. I can do a screen/projector combo for quite a bit less than a 70" RPTV and have a 106" diagonal without buying a lot of stuff I won't use (TV tuner, for example). I've even found some refurbed CRT projectors that are likely to be in the mix. After all, if I'm listening to the sound track with amps using radio receiving triodes that haven't been manufactured since before FDR took his first oath of office (and mange maybe 3W with a good tailwind;)) , I might as well go dinosaur technology all the way 'round. :D

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
If you can't manage the light control necessary for a front projection system I would highly recommend either of the LCOS sets over the Samsung DLP models. Samsung video processing is subpar for less than perfect incoming HD signals--lots of video noise in dark areas of the picture. Toshiba DLP sets are much better in this regard, Mitsubishi somewhere between the Tosh and Samsung.

I'd also recommend one of the Toshiba HD-DVD players for an upconverting player--superb upconversion and pillarboxes 4/3 dvds. Add a PS3 for BluRay playback--the best and most future proof BD player available at this time. The Sony LCOS sets will also do this pillarboxing when receiving an incoming 1080i picture, don't know if the JVC will. Both JVC and Sony do proper de-interlacing of 1080i, as do the Toshiba dlp models. Sony offers more adjustment parameters and lets you save them on a per-input basis. JVC is usually regarded as having a more punchy image, Sony more film-like.

CoolCatbro

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Reginald Perrin
Projector...sounds fun!

now which projector?

I had a friend did a $20-30K room...he spent a bunch on a $$screen and his kids the very first day got some ink or something on it....he pulled it down and did some special paint on the wall, it was still an amazingly large clear picture...huge. It was a darkened room though, but even with the door open and light it was a great.

triodelover

Auditioning
Real Name
Phil

I'm talking with Curt Palme about a refurbed CRT projector. Because the set-up will only be used for movies and nothing else, I think CRT is the way to go. Add either a scaler or transcoder for the input and either a 4:3 screen (scaler) or a pair of screens with a 16:9 mounted behind a 4:3 (transcoder) and we are good to go. Sound provided by an all-triode system hooked up to massive hybrid horns. Two-channel only, but for at least 60% of the collection, that's one channel more than necessary.:D

Not a $30k room and there will be some DIY (masking, ambient light control), but no kids top worry about - I'll turn 60 next year.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks