LCDs with cable=crap

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Tim L, Jun 20, 2005.

1. Tim L

Tim L Second Unit

I am currently looking to buy a few smaller LCDS for the bedroom and another room in my house-but everyone I look at that is displaying a cable feed look horrible.
    I bought a rather cheap proview LCD from Costco (17" for around $300) to replace a 14" crt I have, and the $99 -14" magnavox (crt) blows away the Proview picture (on cable feed-the LCD was displaying HD at the store quite good though).
    I don't have HD set up at home and probably won't be watching any DVD material on these sets so I'm prety much stuck with digital cable service. I'm tempted to buy crt again since the prices are dropping. Is this the norm for these all these sets? I just can't see spending the cash for such a lousy picture.
    Tim

2. Rob*W

Rob*W Auditioning

I have basically the same question. I've recently seen a new plasma and a new LCD running SD from cable, satellite, and over-the-air, and none of those combinations comes close to my analog CRT with over-the-air signal. The old analog CRT just blows them away when viewing a SD signal. Is this common, or am I seeing something out of the ordinary?

3. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

nope, you guys are right on the money. the problem with these fixed-pixel displays is that they just don't do a great job with analog/standard-definition material.

as tim noted, on a hd feed, the tv's look great. if you're watching mostly sd material, i definitely think that a crt is a good option.

----

remember that one of the *big* appeals of these lcd's is the form factor -- you don't have to have this huge tv taking up a lot of space.

4. Leo Kerr

Leo Kerr Screenwriter

A CRT is capable of 'soft scaling.' A CRT can also display an interlaced signal.

LCDs, by nature, can't do the interlaced signal, and for them to 'soft scale' well, you'd need probably a 4kx2k resolution screen.

Give 'em a digital / direct drive source, however...

Leo

5. John Alvarez

John Alvarez Screenwriter

So if I have Dish Networks 100% digital signal it should look good?

6. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

john -

not sure i'm going to explain this right ... so bear with me.

digital doesn't necessarily equal hi-def. digital cable, digital satellite, etc can still be standard-def material ... which will not produce a really good pic on lcd tv's.

for your lcd to really shine, it would need a hi-def signal. yeah, that's a digital signal as well ... just a "better" one.

7. Tim L

Tim L Second Unit

Well the only good thing is that the prices continue to fall on the smaller sets-but I wonder how many people are disapointed when they get home and hook it up to their cable. Its amazing the difference in picture though with HD-its like night and day on these little units. Well for me I have to stick with the LCD (space) its not for critical viewing anyway- but it would have been nice to have a little better picture for sure.
    Tim

8. John Alvarez

John Alvarez Screenwriter

But will the Digital sattelite look better than an analog signal? Just not as great as a hi def signal? I would hate to spend 4k on a set and get it home to hate it.

9. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

Digital satellite is an analog signal from the box to the set. It is only digital from the satellite to the dish/box. It is an improvement (depending on compression) on straight analog since the interference is reduced, but will suffer the same effect on fixed pixel displays as regular analog because it is being fed with the same analog connections at the same resolution as analog.

10. Frank@N

[email protected] Screenwriter

I also tested 4 LCDs from $200-$600 in my kitchen when my 13" CRT died.

Unfortunately, they all looked like hell with my SD cable signal.

Took them back and got another smaller CRT for $99.

Oh well, at least the new CRT is a flat tube.

11. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    Yes definitely a case of Garbage in Garbage out. My Mits rear screen also suffered a similar fate, it has a lousey line double, SD Digital cable looks horrendous, while HD looks pretty nice. I still use it for HD Sports and Shows but all my Standard Def TV watching gets done on the upstairs 30" Samsung HD Widescreen, it still has a decent SD Picture and a Fantastic Hi def picture. I was interested in getting an LCD, but I think I'm gonna stick with my Direct View for the time being

12. Dennis_N

Dennis_N Agent

So, if the LCD TV isn't an HDTV, just an EDTV, regardless of that signal you pass to it, it will always look like crap? Or if I have an HD signal passing to the non-HD LCD TV, it'll crisp up and handle it better? Just trying to get an idea since I am looking for a 20" LCD for the bedroom. We have the opportunity to get some HD channels over the cable company here, so I am not sure if I am going to have to spring for that (even though I don't even have HDTV in the main room!!). [​IMG]

13. Ronn.W

Ronn.W Second Unit

No, because standard or ota signals still aren't going to be using all of the resolution. I've got a 20.1" Westinghouse LCD I use for gaming and watching movies on. SD cable looks OK on it. Games look fantastic on it, as does even the crappy little CH 300 DVD player I have hooked up to it. Neither of these sources is HD, but they are both providing a good full 480p signal to it, which SD does not.