What's new

LCD vs Plasma (1 Viewer)

BillyH

Stunt Coordinator
Is it my imagination or are direct view LCDs sharper then the plasmas or is it just because the plasmas a usualy shown in larger sizes. As far as I know, the Sharp 37 incher is the largest widescreen DV LCD out there. There was hints at a 50, Samsung or Zenith I think, but haven't heard much on those latley. Still, even with a 42 inch plasma, even a good one like the Hitachi, I think the 37 inch looks better. Anyone out there got an opinion? I would think that LCDs will win out over plasmas as they won't burn in and are not nearly as fragile as a plasma, esp. when transporting.

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
The avsforum plasma/LCD forum has had a lot of discussion about this. I've read a lot over the past year or so there and other places. The argument with the best logic/facts I heard came to this:

LCDs will eventually replace standard CRTs under 36" due to pricing (LCDs will become much cheaper to manufacture at the low end). This makes sense, since they are doing the same for CRT computer monitors right now.

However, plasmas will continue to dominate the big-screen market (say like 42" or 50" + ) for some time due to cheaper manufacturing costs for large plasmas vs large LCDs.

Of course, you can never tell with the future, technology being what it is and all. But given the current manufacturing methods, etc - unless some significant advance is made on either side, the arguments for this scenario are pretty sound. Makes sense to me.

Edit: Here's a good discussion thread on the LCD/Plasma topic @ avs for some reading from knowledgeable folks: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0&pagenumber=2

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks