LCD vs Plasma (Plasma dead?)

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Jonathan Hale, Apr 11, 2005.

1. Jonathan Hale

Jonathan Hale Auditioning

Apologies if this question has been posted before, it's a little hard to search for though.

I'm planning on picking up a new flat panel TV around the end of this year. I was initially leaning towards plasma, with the recent price drops and all, but I've been reading about the demise of plasma now that LCD's have reached larger sizes (Samsung's 46" LCD).

Assuming that price is less of an issue than image quality, longevity etc, am I better off looking at the big screen LCD's come Xmas 2005? From what I've read, they're much better at displaying an HD signal than plasma and have a longer expected life without the burn in (I do a fair amount of video gaming) and dimming issues over time that plasma's are susceptible to.

Am I off base here?

2. Alf S

Alf S Producer

Alfer
    Since you've got a long wait until you pull the trigger, why not investigate and look at these when they arrive:

Posted on another site:

April 08, 2005 09:01 AM US Eastern Timezone

Mitsubishi Digital Electronics America Introduces Feature-Loaded, Fully Integrated 1080p DLP MicroDisplay HDTVs

ORLANDO, Fla.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--April 8, 2005--Mitsubishi Digital Electronics America Inc. introduced five fully integrated HDTVs today at its national dealer line show. All five televisions include Plush(TM) imaging to deliver an unmatched perfect picture every time and ClearThought(TM) technology to make it easy to watch TV.

Mitsubishi's WD-52627 (52-inch), WD-62627 (62-inch), WD-52628 (52-inch), WD-62628 (62-inch) and WD-73727 (73-inch) all boast 1920 x 1080p pixel resolution and Mitsubishi's proprietary Dark Detailer(TM) light engine technology for unmatched contrast and black levels. All five models come with Plush1080p(TM), Mitsubishi's third-generation upconversion system updated for 1080i-to-1080p deinterlacing. The 628 Series and 727 Series models also feature Mitsubishi's new DeepField(TM) imager and SharpEdge(TM), enhancing brightness and contrast. The WD-73727 boasts a powerful 150W lamp for a bold and bright picture, a considerable achievement for a screen of this size.

These new models have two HDMI(TM) inputs, three component video inputs and a nine-format memory card reader. All of these HDTVs are also Digital Cable Ready with CableCARD(TM) and have front panel IEEE1394 inputs with DV decoder to allow easy playback from digital video camcorders.

All five microdisplay televisions use Texas Instruments Digital Light Processing(TM) technology and Mitsubishi's ClearThought(TM) technology to make them the easiest to use full-featured TVs available. ClearThought(TM) includes TV Guide On Screen(R) program guide, and an all-digital audio output that converts analog audio signals to digital. The new models also come with NetCommand(R) 5.0, the latest generation of Mitsubishi's home theater operation system which allows users to set up and control components using simple on-screen icons.

Dark Detailer(TM) is a new Mitsubishi technology that provides enhanced contrast and black levels. It allows a wider palette of dark gray shades, giving a realistic sense of depth to the picture.

DeepField(TM) imager is a new system Mitsubishi developed that allows the television to display enhanced contrast and sharpness. It constantly monitors the picture signal and finely adjusts brightness, contrast and gamma so that every part of every frame is optimized. This results in a picture with greater depth-of-field, especially in scenes with both dark and light areas.

SharpEdge(TM) is the latest version of an exclusive Mitsubishi edge-definition system. New for this year, it enhances both horizontal and vertical edges for stunning picture precision.

In separate announcements, Mitsubishi Digital Electronics America introduced its new lines of high-definition LCD and plasma flat panel displays, and Diamond line of 1080p DLP(TM) microdisplay HDTVs.

Mitsubishi Digital Electronics America Inc.

Mitsubishi Digital Electronics America Inc. manufactures and markets a comprehensive line of premium-quality high-definition projection televisions, HD LCD televisions, and plasma displays, as well as VCRs, DVD players, and an HDTV receiver/controller and related products for complete home theater systems. Recognized as the world leader and innovator of digital big screen television and receiver technology, Mitsubishi Digital Electronics America develops audio and video products that lead the industry in quality, performance and ease of use. For additional information about MDEA, visit www.mitsubishi-tv.com.

Plush, Plush1080p, ClearThought, NetCommand, DeepField, Dark Detailer, and SharpEdge are trademarks or registered trademarks of Mitsubishi Electric Corp. and/or Mitsubishi Digital Electronics America Inc. CableCARD is a trademark of Cable Television Laboratories Inc. Digital Light Processing and DLP are trademarks of Texas Instruments. TV Guide On Screen is a registered trademark of Gemstar Development Corp. HDMI is a trademark of HDMI Licensing LLC.

3. John S

John S Producer

High quality 42" ED Plasma is below $2000....

But, never the less, I think plasma will always be around.
    The glowing gas just has some quality about it the I find pleasant. I would guess there are some others that feel that way too????

LCD RPTV's I think will become the next great bargains, I mean large 60"+ sizes for less than $3000.00

I'm all about screen size, get the largest you can afford. [​IMG]

4. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

I have seen three LCD/plasma comparisons, and for all of them, the plasma sets at the same size are cheaper, and the plasma set won the "shootout" in 2 of the 3 cases. And in the third case, the reviewer even mentioned that he didn't pick the LCD based on any value judgements, but purely on video quality. In that case, the LCD set compared to the plasmas cost over 2 times as much! (Sharp Aquos. Shoot, if I could afford one of those, that's what I'd get...)

Plasma is not going anywhere soon. I've seen projected set sales through 2008, and it is only going to increase through that time. Plasmas do have better colors, contrast, and black levels than comparable LCDs. They also do not suffer from image lag. But LCDs are brighter and don't suffer from burn in either.

5. Jonathan Hale

Jonathan Hale Auditioning

Thanks for the responses. Definitely gives me something to think about over the coming months (not to mention the new products coming out later this year!).