LCD vs LCD DLP

Discussion in 'Displays' started by John DeSantis, Jun 11, 2005.

1. John DeSantis

John DeSantis Stunt Coordinator

Quick Question: How much difference between the DLP LCDs and regular LCD models. I know size is one thing. But how about Pic Quality etc. What is good and bad about these?

Thanks

2. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

LCD and DLP are separate technologies, there is no such thing as "DLP LCD".

LCD technology is used to make flat panel displays, rear projection sets, and front projectors. DLP is used only for rear and front projection.

If you specify which type of set you're referring to it would make it possible to answer your question.

3. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

The most significant differences are that LCD models don't deliver as dark blacks, and some viewers notice rainbow fringes more readily on DLP models.

The DLP technology is somewhat more expensive so just one picture generating element is used for red, green, and blue content and the sequential flashing of the sub-images combined with the viewer's eye movement will always result in the sub-images not coinciding in the viewer's eyes at least some of the time.

LCD's are getting better as technology improves but the crystals are still not perfectly opaque for black, thus you get at best dark gray for your black. The difference between LCD and DLP is more noticeable when the room is really dark.

I haven't noticed but some experts have said that on average the gaps between the illuminated parts of the individual pixels are a bit wider for LCD compared with DLP. If you are sitting really close, you may have seen this "screen door effect".

Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

4. Jonathan T.

Jonathan T. Stunt Coordinator

purely subjective opinion, but I prefer LCD. Better colour, and more importantly better geometry. Every DLP I have seen, but especially the current samsung units has had pincushion distortion, exactly why I can't say, but ti's not subtle.

5. John DeSantis

John DeSantis Stunt Coordinator

Thanks guys..

I currently have a Sharp Aquas LCD 20" in the Kitchen and Love it.

Also have a Dell W2600 HD LCD in the Bedroom. Love the Sharp but the Dell is so so...

I plan on replacing the Main RCA CRT in the Living room and just wondered if I should stick with LCD or try another display Technology.

The LCDs do have limited viewing angles even though they claim 170 degrees. To me it's much more limited than that.

Lcd is lighter, less power, etc. But I would have to agree about reproducing Black as well as CRTs or Plasma.