LCD vs CRT vs PLASMA

Discussion in 'Displays' started by john_kassimatis, Mar 10, 2005.

1. john_kassimatis

I was at CompUSA and they had around 10 different LCD HDTVs on display, all tuned on a HD channel. Every single display showed some grainyness/snow in solid colors, mostly on still shots. Do all LCDs do this? I find it very annoying and distracting - and I have the same problem with my Dell W1900 LCD.

The Plasma and CRT TVs didn't do this. I've heard that LCD is better technology, but based on what I've seen, I don't see how.

Which would you recommend and why, for someone who is looking to spend arond 1k on an HDTV 19-30inches?

2. ChuckSolo

ChuckSolo Screenwriter

For 1K I would look around for the biggest CRT HD RPTV I could find. Samsung has a 46" model that retails around 1K. The same model rebadged as an Akai unit sells at Circuit City for substantially less than that. The downside is that the TV has no HDMI/DVI input. Also, I would take a look at the Sanyo and Panasonic 30" CRT HDTVs at Wal-Mart. Those retail for just over half of your budget.

3. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

John,
    LIkely what you saw was the issue with Motion blur on LCD's. You probably didn't notice the grey blacks and maybe because you weren't looking.

Chuck is right. For $1k you are better off looking at what he has suggested. More bang for your buck and a bigger screen. The bigger screen make a huge difference.

Plasma just isn't a very good value for the amount you are going to spend.

4. Steve_L_B

Steve_L_B Stunt Coordinator

I would avoid a $1K CRT based HD RPTV and stick to the direct views in this price range. The low priced RPTVs can give you a big display, but they usually do not look very good with HD or even SD in some cases. This is because they do not have the high bandwidth (and expensive) components necessary to properly display HD. And in some models, in order to reduce cost, all of the SD signals are converted to 540p (this makes it easier to display 1080i HD), but they do such a poor job of deinterlacing and scaling that SD signals also look bad.

-Steve

5. ChuckSolo

ChuckSolo Screenwriter

Well Steve, I would dispute your opinion of CRT HDRPTVs since I have had one for a while now and love it. While some of the SD channels look bad, they are going to look bad on almost any CRT RPTV regardless of price. I can tell you that my HD picture looks spectacular in 1080i. To me, a 30" direct view CRT HDTV is great......for the bedroom. Those of us who have experienced larger screens just won't go back to anything less than 42" and some won't go back to less than 46". I think the fact that DLP, LCOS, Plasma and LCD TVs are all the rage is the reason that CRT RPTV's are coming down in price, not because as you allude to, that the components used in their manufacture are cheap. [​IMG]

6. Steve_L_B

Steve_L_B Stunt Coordinator

I'm not dis'n all CRT RPTV's, just the cheap ones. I personally haven't seen a sub $1K RPTV that produces really great PQ. However, I've seen several 30" direct view HDTV's in that price range that look great. Since John stated that he is looking for something in the 19" to 30" size, I think that a direct view is most apprpriate.

FYI, I have a 42" plasma, and you're correct, I could never go back to a smaller display. In fact, I'm seriously considering upgrading to a 50".

Regards,
    Steve

7. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

I love my Sony CRT-RPTV 52 inch t.v. Using satellite (DirecTV) give me a pretty good picture via S-Video and I don't have HD yet, but using an upscaling player via component is stunning. I would try to add another 400 to 500 dollars and get one of the better models like Sony, Mitsubishi or Hitachi CRT based RPTVs. It's the cheapest way to get a big HD screen with great black levels.