LCD TV Setup

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Bill Griffith, Oct 7, 2003.

1. Bill Griffith

Bill Griffith Supporting Actor

What is with this. I'm walking through the shops and looking at the LCD TV's (WEGA's) and the DLP TV's.

Well I've seen the LCD TV's at 2 different stores (BestBuy and Fry's). It is entirely possible that these TV's are just not setup properly but I figured someone would have fixed this problem but know one has.

with the 42" or 50" you stab about 6 feet away and watch whats playing. They had this one thing playing with lots of high color and at first I was thinking the colors are briliant but the picture quality was too sharp, if there is such a thing. Than I noticed a slight "phased" image or "shadow". One fo the shots was showing this Marine walking very slowly at about a distance of 50'. Well you could obviosly see two of him, one him was very fain almost like a phased or shadow image of the original. Most of the other pictures after that I tried to find this and it was still there but harder to tell.

Is this a setup issue or just a dissadvantage of the LCD RPTV's? Are anmy other TV's subjected to this kind of behavior, because I've only seen it on the LCD's?

2. David Abrams

David Abrams Stunt Coordinator

Bill,

It almost sounds like your either seeing extreme edge enhancemnt (too much sharpness), or possibly ghosting in the picture. If it is edge enhancement it is correctable by turning off edge enhancement circuitry or by reducing the sharpness control. If it is ghosting it is most likey in the signal source itself.

Something is definitely going wrong here. The question is what exactly is it? and how do you correct for it?

On all of the LCD displays and DLP displays I have setup I have been able to get excellent results without any of these issues.

Also keep in mind that the sets on these show room floors are most likely set at what they would be out of the box and not adjusted/calibrated at all.

Regards,

3. Bill Griffith

Bill Griffith Supporting Actor

Yeah I relaize that at these stores imp[articular the floor people no very little or whatever they were told of the products. But I've never seen this issue on any DLP, Plasma, or CRT style displays.

I guess the question should be are these LCd Devices more prone to this type of adjustment problem or am I just "lucky"

4. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

Ghosting is not limited to DLP or LCD. Plenty of CRT based sets also have EE or ghosting ... often not source related and not defeatable either.

Regards