LCD TV Orientation

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Manuel Vidal, Jul 20, 2003.

1. Manuel Vidal

Manuel Vidal Auditioning

May 5, 1999
    I am considering an LCD TV and I have a question regarding the aspect ratio. A 23" (16X9)diagonal Sony, for example, when being fed a tv signal in 4X3 mode, I guess it will have the dark bars in the sides. Can the aspect ratio be changed to 16X9 with a proportioned image, i.e. not vertically shrinked? I am more interested in TV viewing, for this LCD TV, so maybe I would be better with a 20" diagonal 4X3 unit, I guess, if the TV viewing requires the bars in the sides, I will have a bigger 4x3 picture. I have been diconnected from this forum for a while, so I don't know how are these things lately. thanks.
  2. Deepak Shenoy

Deepak Shenoy Supporting Actor

Jul 3, 1998
    There is no way to fit a 4:3 TV image on a 16:9 screen without some kind of a compromise. Most widescreen TVs offer the following modes

1) Uniform stretch mode - the picture will look vertically squeezed.
    2) Just mode - picture is relatively undistorted at the center, but stretched more on the sides.
    3) Zoom mode - picture is cropped at the top and bottom to fit the 16:9 aspect ratio. Some TVs allow you to scroll the image so that the top of the image is cropped more than the bottom or viceversa.

I am not sure which widescreen TV model you are considering, but it will most likely have the 3 modes listed above (and other possible variations of these modes).