LCD screens

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by AaronMg, Oct 26, 2002.

1. AaronMg

AaronMg Stunt Coordinator

Hi everyone.
    Im looking to buy a new computer soon and I'm looking to get an LCD screen. I have heard mixed emotions about these monitors. The guy at my local computer store told me that a decent one should do the job very well, and that there arent really big problems with the trailing like there used to be. Do any of you out there have one? If so, how do you find they perform with different applications?

2. Mike St.Louis

Mike St.Louis Supporting Actor

I'd also like to know. I'm deciding between a 19" CRT or a 17" LCD.

3. AaronMg

AaronMg Stunt Coordinator

I just picked up an NEC 18" LCD today. I had a few demos at the store and the picture was beautiful. The sailsman played several movie trailers for me and I did not see one trace of trailing. Too bad I wont see it again until Christmas [​IMG]

4. Francois Caron

Francois Caron Cinematographer

Francois Caron
    I've yet to find an LCD screen I really liked. Granted, the trailing problems aren't as bad as they used to be. To me that means there's still a bit of a trailing problem left to solve. Also, LCD screens don't have as much color fidelity or black level of even a cheap CRT screen. It's pretty annoying that LCD screens are way more expensive than CRT screens considering all their shortcomings. For the price of a 15" CRT screen (15" viewing area), you could probably get two half-decent 17" CRT screens (16" viewing area) for about the same price! Better yet, for that money you can easily get a 19" screen with an 18" viewing area, giving you plenty of desktop space for about anything you plan to do with the monitor today and in the future.

I considered getting an LCD screen when I got my new computer just recently, but simply couldn't justify the increased cost and image shortcomings. I now have a 17" Samsung 753DF monitor that cost me about $250 Canadian. Although the image is not absolutely perfect (slight bowing of the horizontal edges, a touch out of focus in the corners), the pre-set color temperature of 6500K is actually very close to 6500K and the black level is actually black. Playing the "Beauty and the Beast" DVD on this monitor is quite an experience.

The only valid reason I can think of for going with an LCD screen is if you have limited desk space and simply can't expand. I had plenty of expandability in my loft so I bought a simple desk at Ikea, the big beech colored Jerker model with a 63 x 32 inch surface area for $89 Canadian or $69 American. That's less than the extra cost of an LCD monitor.

5. John Parris

John Parris Stunt Coordinator

I tend to agree... never really had a truely great LCD experience. Still prefer CRTs, though I'm sure that will change once the technology improves.

Currently I'm using a 19" Samsung 955DF... Basically just a larger version of the tube Francois is using, and I definatley have the same positive feelings toward it. I can't imagine trading it in for a much smaller, and inferior LCD.

Don't believe us, though... go see for yourself. Take a trip to a local computer store and give them a once over... run a couple of programs and take a DVD or two with you (if you use your computer for watching them) and judge for yourself which is better.

6. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

There are definite advantages and disadvantages to each technology. LCD's are far easier to look at for long periods of time, since there is no progressive scan refresh. Pixels are simply on or off, so your eyes are much more comfortable. LCD's are also much crisper, especially when connected via the digital input. I spend over 10 hours a day on the computer, so there's no way I'd sacrifice my eyes with a CRT.

CRT's have far better color fidelity, especially in the middle colors and the reds. They also have the equivalent of a response time of about 5ms, so there is far less ghosting during fast action games.

If you're looking for an LCD, look for a NON-MVA technology LCD panel with a 25ms total average response time or better.

7. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

each format has it's advantages. if you're a hardcore gamer, do graphic intensive work, or require absolutely accurate color rendition, you may want to stick with a crt. but if you're a casual pc user an lcd may work out just fine.
    as already mentioned, you need to check it out for yourself. if possible, get the thing home and see how it feels on your pc. just make sure you can return it with no restocking fees or other crap.
    also, check out some reviews here:
    http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.html?i=1663 - review of samsung 191t (which i may be getting)
    http://www6.tomshardware.com/display/index.html - multiple lcd's reviewed
    http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/artic...,102876,00.asp - multiple lcd's reviewed

8. Rob Speicher

Rob Speicher Supporting Actor

181t or 191t - I have the 181t connected with DVI to a GF4 and it's fantastic. Hardcore gaming, graphic design, it's all great.

Everyone that comes over and sees it just falls in love with it. You won't be disappointed.

9. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

My Toshiba Satellite 5100 has an incredible 15"-viewable TFT LCD display that has 1600x1200 resolution. I really wish it were available for desktop computers. I LOVE this monitor. Colors are actually fairly accurate, although I have difficulty distinguishing between light gray and white, unless I view from dead center (it has a 170 degree view angle). Ghosting is barely detectable, unless I smooth-scroll text in a window.
    Watching DVDs is very pleasant on this screen. And I play UT2003 on it occasionally as well, as it has a Geforce 4 MX 440 in it.
    6 pt text is extremely readable, as easy on the eyes as reading a book. Hell, I get more eyestrain trying to read newsprint. For programming, an LCD monitor should be a requirement!
    No geometry errors, no focusing problems, no scan-rate flicker. LCDs rock for everyday use. Now, if you're a graphic artist, you probably won't want one. However, how many CRT monitors can you get that are of ISF-quality? Not many from my experience. And it is very rare for a monitor to include color decoder, gamma, and grayscale adjustment controls. [​IMG]

10. Eric Del

Eric Del Auditioning

I just got the Samsung 191t. I think it's a wonderful monitor, everything is so crisp it's amazing.
    It currently has a $100 mail-in rebate at compusa.

11. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

You can currently get the Dell 1900FP (made by Samsung, same panel as 191T, even has same thin bezel) for $639.20 shipped, with no tax for most States. There's a 20% discount which expires tonight. Excellent panel. If the Samsung 191T is less than that after tax and rebate, it's definitely a steal.

12. Scott H

Scott H Supporting Actor

13. Kvit Lim

Kvit Lim Agent

14. Mike Sogge

Mike Sogge Stunt Coordinator

I have a Samsung 170T (last year's model) and absolutely love it to death. I hate having to use most all computers that have a CRT for a display.

Granted, they do have a price premium, but so did large CRT's when they were new on the market. You can't expect relatively new technology to cost the same as stuff that's been around for years in the consumer market. Prices are dropping quickly on LCD's anyway. Last fall my 17" cost the same as this year's 18" and 19" versions.