LCD RPTVs

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Dave Schofield, Feb 8, 2004.

1. Dave Schofield

Dave Schofield Second Unit

I'm in the market for an HDTV, and I think I've settled on a LCD RPTV. My question is, what are my options? I was very high on the Sony WE line until I got a chance to look around here and AVS Forum and see the horror stories that have been posted in regards to bulb problems and, to a lesser extent, dead-pixels. I understand that the Panasonic has had similar problems (?).

My main reason for looking at LCD RPTVs is this: My future plans include several moves and/or upgrades that will require my new set to be moved several times. A CRT RPTV makes me nervous in regards to convergence and weight. Add to that burn-in...

Thanks!

2. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

Dave,
    Your options are:

Panasonic
    Sony and Sony XBR
    Hitachi V500 series 50 and 60"
    LG

LG is tough to find so you may very well be down to Panasonic, Sony and Sony XBR and the Hitachis

Of those the Hitachis are very nice as are the Sony's but they have alot of issues.

To me this scared me away big time and I'm leaning towards buying a Samsung DLP. This is the best alternative. The only issue I can think of with the Samsungs are rainbows and I don't see any on a Samsung DLP ever. Considering I can see them all the time on FPTV's this is a marvel for them.

Considering the fact they are about to release a new group of DLP's soon, the older models will be discounted nicely.

Then again if that isn't a consideration I'd jump all over the Hitachi. The stand is rather pricey though =/

3. Dave Schofield

I finally got a chance to see the Hitachi 50V500 today. Very nice set. It was at Sears and they had the Dish Demo playing. I asked if he had an OTA feed I could take a look at (since it was during the Daytona 500) but he said they didn't. I'm not all that impressed with the Dish Demo, there are some really bad pixelation scenes in the loop (not the set, because every set they had did had the same problem).

And yes, the stand was pretty pricey, though I don't know of a good alternative, I don't think I've ever seen a stand wide enough for this set. I'm not a huge fan of the silver color, either, but it would probably grow on me. Every set I've ever had was black or pretty dark grey.

They had it for $3150, which is a tad less than Sears.com has it for. I haven't been able to find it online. I wonder if they'd deal if I threw in a purchase of the stand and a Dish install...

4. Chad B

Chad B Stunt Coordinator

Yes, I'll throw my vote in for the Hitachi v500 LCD. I calibrated a 60" just last week, and I can say it looks great after calibration! From the factory, it has poor black level retention, very aggressive edge "enhancement," and a bluish grayscale, but all that stuff is correctable. Afterwords, I was impressed with it's color (great fleshtones) and great grayscale performance even at near black (in other words, shadows and dark scenes looked very accurate).

I'll be calibrating an LG this week, so I'm eagerly waiting to see how it will look.

Chad

5. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

I have seen a good one that would work. The stand is made by Bush and I know Circuit City has them for $299.

6. steve...c

steve...c Auditioning

I think the Sony lcd problems have been fixed. I have been following the problems very closely on a couple of different forums since I have been dying to buy the GWIII 50 inch model and have been holding off until the problems were fixed. From what I have read if you get a set that was produced after January 04 you should be ok. I am selling my 65 inch Toshiba and as soon as it is sold I will be ordering a GWIII. I was watching Lord of the Rings at CC the other day and was blown away by the picture quality.

7. Dave Schofield

Shane, is THIS it? (hope that URL works...)

8. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

Dave,
    Yes it is. That's the one.