1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

LCD RP Dead Pixel/lifepan

Discussion in 'Displays' started by calvin_clements, Mar 13, 2004.

1. calvin_clements

Will a LCD RP TV last 10 years without any picture degradation? Any longevity testing available? Contacted Sony, reply evaded answering if any long term testing done. Should I stick with a CRT? I prefer the light weight of a LCD but the TV I purchase will have to do for years. I can control lighting in my HT room but do not always want to watch TV in the dark. Should I consider DLP, has there been longevity testing?

2. Merimac Hamwich

Merimac Hamwich Stunt Coordinator

First thing you want to ask yourself is, how long has the technology been around?

Correct me if I am wrong, but niether LCD or DLP TV's have been around 10 years yet, so they would not have been able to test truthfully for that amount of time.

Common sense.

3. Danny Beck

Danny Beck Stunt Coordinator

Yeah, and LCD technology has actually been around in some form for almost 30 years. They started using LCD's in watches and calculators long ago.

4. Joseph Sabato

Joseph Sabato Stunt Coordinator

We have LCD business projectors at work that are more than 6 years old (they are beasts in size compared to the newest ones) and they are still working. The issues I have seen with them are dust (just a maintenance issue, could be fixed) and two of the oldest 3M units now have a slight purplish cast to the image, but are by no means bad. My older CRT TV's get goofy looking colors when they get older too. My two cents worth.