What's new

LCD Recall (1 Viewer)

Asalante

Agent
I was in a local Best Buy yesterday. I asked a salesman when they were going to get more Sony GW 42" LCD TV's. As they had been sold out. He said probably never as they were being recalled. I don't know if anyone else has heard about this but I did a search on the word recall and no one seems to have posted it yet so here you go. He further stated that of the 18 they had sold out of that store in the last couple months over half are back for repairs. This guy didn't appear to be your typical know nothing. I asked him tons of questions, about Plasmas, LCD, DLP, Tube TV's etc etc, and he answered everything without pause. So I would guess he's not wrong about this. Take it as you will if your looking at buying one of the Sony LCD TV's.

On a side note they had many TV's all on the same feed and the DLP by far looked the best, except compared to the 34"xbr.

Danny Beck

Stunt Coordinator
Why do I have this funny feeling this isn't true?

Then he goes ahead and mentions that DLP look the best. :) I see an agenda here. :)

Dan

Stunt Coordinator
He may have an agenda. I took a fat year to pick my TV and hesitantly had the Sony 60" XBR LCD w/built-in tuner delivered yesterday. I've heard nothing about any LCD recall in the whole year. I know there's guys out there with a Sammy DLP agenda.

I was actually going for the DLP, but after comparing, I noted the DLP had the "Rainbow" effect as my eye moved acrosss the screen. To avoid burn-in and convergence, I went with the LCD. It looks fabulous, though to get the darks, you have to crank down brightness and it does have the LCD "shimmer" effect on bright colors (but that's if you're really picky).

Asalante

Agent
I was never much of a DLP fan but it did look very good. But the XBR looks better, and no I don't have an agenda here ;)

Dave Schofield

Second Unit
I don't believe the recall is true, but there are reports of serious problems with the Sony LCD. A search here or at AVS forum for "Grand Wega" will give you more information than you'll ever want to know.

I wouldn't normally believe a Best Buy "Extended Warranty Salesman" either, but in this case, he was only about half wrong. :)

Another note, I wouldn't use the setups at Best Buy to judge TVs. They couldn't set up a TV or a computer monitor to save their lives.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member

Well a reputable tech I know has had to replace light engines on several of these over the last few months. I don't know if it's a localized problem or if they have problems with their implementation using the Ver. 2 DLP chips.

I have wanted a nice DLP for some time, but I sure don't want to be on the bleeding edge.

(not sure if you meant pro or con agenda regarding the Sammy DLPs, I took it as a con)

Dan

Stunt Coordinator
Seth-

It was a pro agenda. This sales guys was pushing DLP all over the place- he was stretching in some areas. Again, I was all ready to buy the DLP until I compared DVD and saw the "rainbowing". (It was mostly around whites and as my eye moved over the screen- particularly noticeable at the "Bridge of Kazun-Dum-sp? sequence in LOTR FOTR). Some people see it, some don't. But be aware of it, as that artifacting was an instant turn off for me.

So, I have the XBR and it is looking sweet. I did purchase an extended warranty (as that unit is a lot of clams)-- it sounds like it may pay for itself if there are issues with Sony's LCDs.

Mark Amayao

Stunt Coordinator
I work for the goodguys and the salesperson at Best Buy would be HALF true .... we received a letter from sony through our buyer ... and it is a problem related to the prematurely dying lamps/bulbs ... to put it simply, a batch of the circuit boards that are coupled with the lamp were supposedly defective thus overdriving the lamp/blub which caused the premature death of the lamp/bulb.

As no recall has been announced mainly due to the fact that it is a batch, not necessarily all. They will take action if a defect were to occur with your set.

Of course we dont know how many defective boards this batch would consist of .... but i think there would be a lot. (We place tons of orders of this set weekly in each of their respectable sizes so youd probably get an idea how many.)

they listed: kf42we610,kf50we610,kf60we610,kdf60xbr950,kdf70xbr 950
No potential recall.

These sets are great and a lot of people think so ... I do to! ... I personally am very susceptible to rainbows and not a big fan of DLP (I bought an LCD Front Projector) but rainbows and "shimmering" aside .... the picture on the sammy is pretty nice though. LCD was down for the count for a while but these manufacturers have breathed new life into LCD and always a film like image with great blacks now!

Asalante

Agent
Looks like "recall" wasn't quite the right word for it. Hopefully this issue has been taken care of on the new LCD sets rolling out. Perhaps I'll have to continue looking at the Sony LCD's after all ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks