What's new

LCD Projector what are your feelings? (1 Viewer)

NickSI

Stunt Coordinator
Hello i am a big fan of the site and i have a question for you guys. i have been looking for a new TV and have been looking at the 42" sony LCD projector and from what i have seen it looks good but are there any hidden secrets that the sales man didn't tell me about?

PS i do know about the light bulb replacement

Evan M.

Supporting Actor
42" projector?? I think you are referring to a 42" LCD rear projection set. If that is the case find out the model # and give use the info. If it is the one that they have at Best Buy or Circuit City for around $2200ish (not sure on the #) than it is a wonderful set and one that I would highly recommend. No I do not own one but if I were to get a "small" RP set I would get that or the Samsung 46" DLP which sells for about $200 more. Give us the model # though so we could offer a bit more help.

NickSI

Stunt Coordinator
sorry i was in a hurry to get the post up as i was running out the door. i was talking about the LCD RPTV and here is the official title. SONY Grand WEGA LCD Rear Projection HDTV TV KDF-42WE655. about the DLP the store i went to (a smallish high-end store that i trust) did not like the DLPs they said that they were more prone to break downs and the picture was not as good. so i feel i have to trust them but if some object i guess i will have to do a comparision. my budget is not that large but i am open to suggestions ~$2000 range

Evan M.

Supporting Actor
Yep...I figured it was that set. Like I said it really is a great tv set. I have come very close to buying one a few times but the design of it did not allow me to place it how I wanted. (I hate when RP sets put the speakers on the side....it adds soooo much to the width of the t.v.) I actually went a totaly different route and went with a front projector. Anyway......
I know you trust the place you are shopping at but I would not put too much stock into the DLP breaking down thing. Company's such as Samsung have been making DLP's for years and I am sure have it pretty well under control. The only issue I can think of with the Sammy is that it has some audio sync issues with certain sources. Not to scare you but the previous model of that Sony LCD set had a lot of issues with odd misshapen squiggly anomolies that would permanently show up on the screen after a year or so (right when the warany expired) I have not heard this about the "new" ones (the one you are looking at) but it also has not been out for a year yet. Again, I am not trying to scare you but it is worth mentioning. If you want more info on it do a search over at AVS in their rear projection forum for "GWIII screen issues".
If that is not an issue with the new sets than I think that Sony is a FANTASTIC T.V.. It really had a shockingly good picture when I saw it.
Other than that TV or the 46" Samsung I would recommend the 50" JVC DIL-A set. It will be more $ but I have seen them for around $2500. A new model is coming out so you may be able to score a great deal on it. It is by far the best TV I have scene for that size. I saw it at a high end store (calibrated) with a HD source and next to the Samsung (calibrated) and it BLEW the Sammy out of the water!! Other than those 3 sets I really can't think of one that I would recommend at the under $2,500 range. Mits. is great but a bit over the price range I think. Panasonic has some great LCD's in the price range but I think the Sony is a bit "better". Good luck to you.

NickSI

Stunt Coordinator
i went to another store and looked at a TOSH DLP cinema series and a JVC LCOS both were nice the JVC was brighter but the toshiba was not bad either. neither of them showed normal cable well as the sony did. unfortunately i have not seen them (the SONY and the JVC/Toshiba) side by side by side. as i said the guys at my first store did not like DLP but it looked nice to me (similar brightness, color, lack of black, and dimming while not on eye level) any thoughts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks