What's new

LCD/Plasma/CRT Projection TV or Projector? (1 Viewer)

DonRo

Grip
Greetings & Salutations from the Land of Sauerkraut & Beer...

I have the following situation/problem and sincerely hoping your experience and knowledge will help me out here.

Situation:
I am currently watching a few DVD films and only 2-3 hours of TV (digital SAT) per week (mostly sports or movies) and would like to crank up the display size & quality considerably. My current display device is 3 1/2 year old Sony KV-29FX66 TV (*this is an European-only version as far as I can tell?) and is a WEGA 100 Hz 4:3 format (fully supports 16:9 mode though) My DVD player is the Denon DVD-2200 (has progressive scan)

My "entertainment" room is small, only 12' x 13'. I would have a projector throw distance of 10.5' and a viewing distance of only 9' regardless of the final display device used. I can make this room "cave-black" any time I use it.

Question:
Does it make any sense (other than from a cost standpoint) in this situation to consider a projector over either a large screen LCD, Plasma, or CRT-projection TV?

If I understand it, the rule of thumb for viewing distance vs. screen size, is about 2.5 x the height of the screen. Which means at 9' the maximum height should be around 43" ...meaning a 65" diagonal screen should still be, "technically speaking" ok?

I would sincerely appreciate any and all input if you can spare a few minutes to reply. I am having a real problem here finding stores & outlets that allow me to get a good feeling for a visual comparison of the different screen types and projectors for my "little" environment. At this distance what would you recommend for an "optimal" image quality & size.

Thanks in advance!
Don

Rest of the set-up:
Denon AVR-1804
Canton Movie CD1 (5.1) speakers

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
What is your budget?

I'm bad at math, and I have all screen width ratios in my head, but basically a good cinematic viewing ratio would be about 1.5 screen widths or less. don't know what kind of height that is.

However, a lot of entry digital projectors don't have the resolution to support that close a viewing. 720p can barely do that for some people, but IMO not for me.

I still think FP is the way to go even though you may get an overall superior picture with a CRT RPTV, a really big screen is hard to beat. Something like the AE900 would be a great choice, but I don't know your budget.

DonRo

Grip
Hi Chris...
Thanks for your response!

I don't have the budget restraints yet... which means I am trying to identify the optimal solution from a device/technology standpoint first (based upon the physical room limitations) and then would try and invest in the "best" that I could afford for that particular solution. Perhaps I am getting my "cart in front of the horse" by doing this?

I guess ideally I would like to stay around the $2K mark... but actually could go to $3-3.5K if necessary.

I realize 9 feet isn't much of a viewing distance and I am stuck with that ...well at least until my son finally moves out and frees up the basement apartment :-D ...so I am trying to find an optimal 16:9 format solution for my "small" space.

I have been planning on going with a FP for a while now, but when I started actually looking at them (in stores) I found that, for my throw distance the results with respect to image size/quality were not all that great. Then I started looking at LCD & Plasma TV's and felt like, that for a realistic investment amount (see above)...they were considerbly smaller than what I wanted for a good quality device.

That is when I came running here to get input from some folks with experience and some good ideas. I haven't actually loooked at one yet, but how would a CRT RPTV like the Panasonic PT-53TW54 or the Samsung HC-R5245W stand up against the image quality and size of FP at this distance.

Chris do you, or any one else know or have any ideas on this?

Thanks again & all the best...
Don

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
Don't forget that an RPTV is a big box that may be very heavy. If you can mount something about the size of a cake box on your ceiling, and you never need to do something else (requiring room light to read by) at the same time as you watch TV, a front projector, even a 720p LCD, is a very good choice.

Sitting nine feet from a six or seven foot wide screen is not necessarily bad. It's personal preference also. If you visit just about any upscale TV store you can stand six feet from a four foot wide screen (same proportions) for an equivalent experience.

For panel TV's, LCD isn't larger than 40 inches and larger plasmas cost much more than front projection.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member

I don't know about specific models, but a CRT RPTV would be superior.

Have you considered used CRT projection? If you can eliminate ambient light, look into that. Europe may make finding one more difficult, but I do know that there are used CRT guys over there, and spaz is in germany. This would get you the big FP picture with the incredible PQ of a CRT display.

Kirk Patrick

Stunt Coordinator
i say get a crt-rp at least 57 or preferably 65

sitting 9 feet from a 65" crt would be very acceptable, if you watch a lot of 2.35 to 1 movies your picture ends up being even smaller

i have a optoma h31 front projector (h30A in europe) which i think is a fantastic projector for the money $900 US +/-

i get a 65 inch diagonal picture with great contrast and no screendoor at all, it makes dvd's look great

unfortunately i am susceptible to the rainbow effect but in every sense i couldn't be happier

good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks