LCD PC monitor for home theatre, without a PC?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Bryan.Lin, Mar 8, 2005.

1. Bryan.Lin

Bryan.Lin Auditioning

Hi, I'm new here and I'm working on a project that involves an overhead projector, a pc LCD monitor and a component to vga converter. The goal is to have a large HD image on a wall without having to buy an HDTV or a multimedia projector following the guide on Toms Hardware site wich i cant post its URL....

The difference is I want to try to make it without a PC, instead connecting the lcd directly to my home theatre receiver. I was thinking that it might be possible through a video converter (component to vga (receiver with dvd player and sat-tv to LCD screen).

The problem is I'm not sure if pc LCDs can display correctly without being connected to a PC videocard. Has anyone tried
    something of the sort (displaying on a pc LCD without it being connected to a PC) with good results?

Thank you in advance.

2. Joey Skinner

Joey Skinner Second Unit

Check this thread for info and links.

3. Bryan.Lin

Bryan.Lin Auditioning

Thank you for the reply, I will check that out.

4. Seth_L

Seth_L Screenwriter

It depends on the PC LCD screen. I'm not sure why you're looking at a PC LCD screen over a LCD TV. You can get a larger LCD TV for less than a PC LCD monitor.

However, some PC LCD monitors have S-video and component inputs.

5. Bryan.Lin

Bryan.Lin Auditioning

Actually, the reason is HDTV LCDs actually cost ALOT more than PC LCDs where i've shopped. I don't know where you do your shopping but online a new 20 inch HDTV lcd can cost around 849.99$ whereas a decent 15 inch PC LCD, wich is HD and can be projected on a screen to over 40 inches in size, costs around 200-300$.

BTW the link to the thread helped alot, lumenslab's do it yourself projector is a much better solution than the overheadprojector.

Also, if anyone is interested, the answer is YES you can connect a PC LCD to a home theatre without using a PC. All that is needed is for the LCD to be connected to a TV BOX like Viewsonic's NextVision N5 wich supports component video (YPBPr), S-video, and composite (RCA)
    inputs.

6. Seth_L

Seth_L Screenwriter

It depends on what size you are comparing to. Above 20" the TVs are cheaper than the computer monitors. A 30" HDTV LCD is about $1k, but a 30" LCD monitor is $3k.

7. stephanX

stephanX Stunt Coordinator

but he is making a projector, and you cant make a projector from a 30" diameter lcd tv, its too big(for an overhead projector style). a 15" lcd monitor is perfect, small dot pitch, good contrst ratio, and a fast response time (faster than the 1k 20" lcd tv)