LCD or CRT Rear Projector?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Robert_eb, Jul 6, 2003.

1. Robert_eb

Robert_eb Supporting Actor

I'm in the market for a Rear Projector but I've noticed the prices coming down on the LCD's but they are still a little too much at this point. Does anyone think these will be even cheaper by Christmas? I had my eye on the Panasonic PT45LC12 45-Inch LCD Projection TV. I've found a price on one for 2500.00 but I didn't want to spend more than $1800.00. Will the wait be worth it for these LCD's?

2. Robert_eb

Anyone?

3. PatrickM

PatrickM Screenwriter

Robert, I'm not going to be able to answer your question because I had the same question (but have included DLP RPTV's as well) and researching it I've found even more questions to the point where I'm holding off buying a new TV until things start to settle down and/or technology improves.

I have read great things about digital RPTV's like the LCD and DLP based as well as the new LCoS based TV's. But, there is an argument that for the dollar you are still better off with a CRT based RPTV.

Personally I don't want to have to fidget with my RPTV much to get the best picture even though I am technical. Convergance drives me nuts so I was starting to look at LCD/DLP/LCoS RPTV's. The advantages are no convergance for the DLP for sure and minimal for the other two if the TV in question has three panels to generate a picture. If its a single panel it should not have convergance issues.

There is also the "benefit" of having a pure digital path for HDTV if you are using DVI. But, some HDTV's are based on 720P instead of 1080i displays so if all you have is a 1080i source your going to have convert or lose some resolution.

As you can see I have barely touched the surface and I have more questions since I don't consider myself an expert on TV technology.

Sorry if this has muddled your decision even more. [​IMG]

Patrick

4. Robert_eb

There doesn't seen to be much info out there at the moment. Do you think that these new LCD/DLP/LCoS RPTV's will be the death of the CRT?

5. PatrickM

PatrickM Screenwriter

No, I don't think the new digital projection technology will replace CRT's any time soon. The CRT is tried and true and when calibrated appropriately it looks great. Plus you can't beat the price of them compared to the other technologies at this point.

But, its all this change that's making me hold off buying right now. Maybe I should just invest in a CRT based RPTV now and 3 years from now I can pick up a digitally based one once they've improved the performance and worked out any bugs.

Patrick

6. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

In a few years it will be much cheaper/easier for manufacturers to go digital and abandon CRT. Hasn't happened just yet but soon. I expect that 5 years from now most RP sets...both low,mid, and high-end will be digital-chip based or use some projection technology other than CRT. Sounds like sci-fi, but there's reason to suspect that laser-projection could even be the new condender to make this happen quickly and affordably. Watch the annoucements over the next 6 months. We all might be in for a big surprise [​IMG] (no kidding here folks...*trust* me)

BTW, regarding downconverting 1080I to 720P for current 720P-res digital displays...

Folks, I have yet to see a CRT rear-projector other than the $$ 9" gun machines that comes anywhere close to the resolution and clarity we see with the 1280 x 720P digital machines. IMO, 1080 looks *better* downconverted on these digital projectors than it does *native* on the CRT projectors (front/rear) in the same price-bracket. Keep in mind that the actual resolution of a CRT display is based on many things...only one of which is the scanning frequency. The beam-spot size has a lot to do with it...and a tight focused beam that doesn't overlap and has good on/off characteristics (for horizontal resolution) is quite pricey and *never* seen in ordinary consumer-level rear-projection applications.

digital displays, however, show exactly the resolution that they have on the chip. Naturally the best option will be 1920 x 1080 digital displays. It won't be long [​IMG]

Right now where CRT is still better is with color saturation (on some models) and absolute black-level...but that won't last for long.