LCD monitors: When will 16:9 become the norm?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JohnTKline, Mar 20, 2003.

1. JohnTKline

JohnTKline Stunt Coordinator

I am thinking of getting a lcd monitor when the price is right for a 18-19". But I have noticed some widescreen lcd monitors here and there,(mostly there). I think apple had quite a few on display at Compusa.
    So would any software support 16:9 viewing? Or would the conventional 4:3 lcd monitor be a better choice?

John

2. Tekara

Tekara Supporting Actor

actually windows just needs to be set to the appropriate resolution for proper viewing. basically if your desktop is set to the right resolution everything will look fine and not "stretched." I believe windows will autodetect a 16[​IMG] monitor and allow for those resolutions if not you should be able to get powerstrip and force those resolutions.

3. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

Rob, Sorry, but I just HAD to point this out because I was confused at first and then I figured it out.

You meant to say 16:9, but you probably didn't take your finger off the shift button when you hit 9 and it came out as a ( so the : & ( gave you the [​IMG]

4. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Hah I noticed it too but worth a post to point it out? [​IMG]

Anyways I was toying with a 16:9 LCD playing Medal of Honor at CompUSA and the game was stretched. Until they make PC games in widescreen I won't be sold on one. But I love the thought of editing 16:9 footage on one of those babies.

5. Tekara

Tekara Supporting Actor

hehe, yeah I noticed it but didn't muster up the the effort to change it. . . actually I'm still not mustering up the effort [​IMG].

anyways i know most games support 1280x960 which is only 1.33:1 but it should be acceptable for use on a 16:9 setup. if not I know most games have configs that can be edited for custom resolutions and you can ste a 16:9 resolution. I know this since that's how you go about getting a game to stretch an image across multiple monitors.

6. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

Except for the LCD TV's, I doubt any LCD's will be 16:9 for awhile. Heck, not one single computer LCD is 16:9 now.

7. Scott H

Scott H Supporting Actor

8. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

True, plenty of 16:10 ones.

9. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Hmm all these ratios are making my brain spin. Obvious question but anyone know why Apple chose 1.60:1 for their Cinema LCD displays?

10. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

11. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Well then doncha think they should have called it the Document series and not Cinema? [​IMG]

12. Joseph S

Joseph S Cinematographer

13. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

Widescreen monitors are great. Just make sure your video card supports the 16:10 resolutions, like 1920x1200 and 1600x1024 (OK, that's actually 16:10.24). And of course for LCD, you want to match the native res.

Most software doesn't care what the desktop size is. You may have to put some effort into finding/making 16:10 wallpaper [​IMG] The only real issue is games. Some games support that resolution -- probably more and more -- but for those that don't you get windowboxing.

//Ken

14. Demetri K

Demetri K Stunt Coordinator

I myself have a 19 inch widescreen LCD from fujitsu(here in jp, widescreen is starting to be the norm for everything. Anyways I can honestly say that this monitor is sweet. I to have played everything from Medal of honor, splinter cell, and some ps2 and gamecube games on it. As well as do my artwork. These things ROCK!!!! Anyway my 2 cents is that if you can find one Buy it!!!! As far as games looking streched. I havent noticed a change in medal of honor much at all. Go figure!!!! Anyways my 2 cents!!!!