LCD flat panel TV's?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris PC, Sep 27, 2001.

1. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Is there such thing as a flat panel LCD 16:9 HDTV TV? I know they have LCD displays, but do they have TV tuners in them? What are some examples of some LCD display brands?

2. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

Really for quality flat panel TV units above say 18" you should be looking at Plasma TV's and not LCD. Keep in mind that for most people these are not a cost effective solution. A much cheaper & Bigger way to go would be a front projection system with a drop down screen IMO. The one bad point to this is you need some light control and with the Plasma units you dont.
    KyleS

3. Scott Dautel

Scott Dautel Second Unit

4. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    Samsung (www.samsungusa.com) makes some LCD projectors. They are narrower than conventional rear projection sets but not flat like a plasma display. The 40 inch widescreen in my bedroom weighs 59.5 lbs. and is only 13.75 inches deep. The main drawback of such designs is that it is likely that every few years there may be a need for a bulb replacements that may be a little over $200. The quality of the picture is very good. Sony is coming out with a 60 inch LCD projector that is 21 inches deep and weights 132 lbs. It should be out in a month or so. I think it will retail for $8k.