LCD dead pixel

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Wayde_R, Mar 29, 2005.

1. Wayde_R

Wayde_R Stunt Coordinator

I understand that the way LCD panels (and chips for projectors) are made that they have a certain amount of dead pixels that are considered an acceptable loss. Like rat turds in your canned ham, a certain amount is considered okay.

I read the support bulletin on Sony's site, I own a Sony so I've been reading their support info, no I don't currently have this problem.

http://129.33.22.16/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEB...Sxi=1,Case=obj(312288),UseTemplate=Case.tem

but it's a bit alarming. They refer to the dead pixel as a "structural property" and hence it's not a warranty item.

I've heard two things about this... help me sort out salesman schlock from the real 411:

First, I've heard that pixels (on LCD) don't just "go bad", they're born bad. So, since my TV is free of dead pixels it's not likely to be a problem for me.

Second. My salespeople told me that they'd replace my LCD RP if a bad pixel appeared. Is this true? I don't have it in writing but I do have a warranty in writing, I'm positive it doesn't cover a dead pixel because of what I read by Sony. How can my retailer override the manufacture?

I am curious if anyone's ever been screwed by this? It seems that given the nature of this problem if you're buying an LCD you should really make sure you get a good look at the unit you're buying before plunking down the cash.

Thanks in advance for any shared experiences or knowledge.

2. John S

John S Producer

Most retailers would allow a return within a certain time frame if for any reason your not happy.

Not sure beyond that. I know if I got a display and it had dead pixels I could see. I'd return it. As your wondering, of course, a total different story if it happens after a year I suppose.

1 or 2 out of how many? Man, seems like it would be hard to even see this with the naked eye. But I don't really know.

Come on LCD gurus!!! I guess I'd like to know as well.

3. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

Sony has worked with the 12 dead/stuck pixels per sq inch rule for some time.

User manuals often state that a few dead pixels are considered to be acceptable and within spec.

These things are not sold as being perfect.

(And we are reminded that there are 3 million of these pixels ... and they die sometimes ... just like heat tiles fall off space shuttles)

Regards

4. Wayde_R

Wayde_R Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the input guys. It's good to know some of the inside info like the exact number of pixels per square inch, interesting.

I guess it's not too common.

Wayde