1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

LCD dead pixel

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Wayde_R, Mar 29, 2005.

1. Wayde_R

Wayde_R Stunt Coordinator

I understand that the way LCD panels (and chips for projectors) are made that they have a certain amount of dead pixels that are considered an acceptable loss. Like rat turds in your canned ham, a certain amount is considered okay.

I read the support bulletin on Sony's site, I own a Sony so I've been reading their support info, no I don't currently have this problem.

http://129.33.22.16/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEB...Sxi=1,Case=obj(312288),UseTemplate=Case.tem

but it's a bit alarming. They refer to the dead pixel as a "structural property" and hence it's not a warranty item.

I've heard two things about this... help me sort out salesman schlock from the real 411:

First, I've heard that pixels (on LCD) don't just "go bad", they're born bad. So, since my TV is free of dead pixels it's not likely to be a problem for me.

Second. My salespeople told me that they'd replace my LCD RP if a bad pixel appeared. Is this true? I don't have it in writing but I do have a warranty in writing, I'm positive it doesn't cover a dead pixel because of what I read by Sony. How can my retailer override the manufacture?

I am curious if anyone's ever been screwed by this? It seems that given the nature of this problem if you're buying an LCD you should really make sure you get a good look at the unit you're buying before plunking down the cash.

Thanks in advance for any shared experiences or knowledge.

2. John S

John S Producer

Most retailers would allow a return within a certain time frame if for any reason your not happy.

Not sure beyond that. I know if I got a display and it had dead pixels I could see. I'd return it. As your wondering, of course, a total different story if it happens after a year I suppose.

1 or 2 out of how many? Man, seems like it would be hard to even see this with the naked eye. But I don't really know.

Come on LCD gurus!!! I guess I'd like to know as well.

3. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

Sony has worked with the 12 dead/stuck pixels per sq inch rule for some time.

User manuals often state that a few dead pixels are considered to be acceptable and within spec.

These things are not sold as being perfect.

(And we are reminded that there are 3 million of these pixels ... and they die sometimes ... just like heat tiles fall off space shuttles)

Regards

4. Wayde_R

Wayde_R Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the input guys. It's good to know some of the inside info like the exact number of pixels per square inch, interesting.

I guess it's not too common.

Wayde