LCD - computer versus TV

Discussion in 'Computers' started by WayneG, May 23, 2003.

1. WayneG

WayneG Stunt Coordinator

I'm afraid I don't understand the difference between LCD computer screens and TV screens. For example, a 15" LCD computer screen goes for about $400 (CAN) whereas a 13" LCD TV screen goes for two grand. Could someone please tell me the difference. Thank you.

Also, you can now play DVDs on your computer screen. DVDs play 480i, but computer monitors are non-interlaced. Does it play this way on a monitor, and does it look as good as a DVD playing on a LCD TV? Thanks again.

2. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

One of the differences is that your LCD for your computer doesnt come with all of the same hookups necessary (S-Video, etc). The computer LCD also doesnt come with any sort of Tuner or antenna built into the unit... Remote capable? Nope. I am not sure about the actually screen difference, if any, but hopefully someone will chime in here.

KyleS

3. Brian Ruth

Brian Ruth Supporting Actor

Wayne:

I'm not sure of the difference, but you can actually get a seperate tuner box for the computer LCD screens for about $120 american (which is... about $200 canadian, right?). I think ViewSonic makes it.

Some LCD monitors also come with TV tuners built in. These are likely better than the TV LCD screens at a much lower price.

As an employee for an electronics retail chain, I never understood why the TV LCDs were so much more expensive. My guess is that TV-centric LCDs haven't been manufactured in the quantities that make them low-cost (i.e. they haven't recouped development/fabrication costs yet, so they pass the expenses onto you), while computer LCD monitors have.

This is pure conjecture on my part, of course, but its as educated a guess as I can make.

As for TV LCD VS computer-fed LCD for DVDs -- both TV and Computer LCDs are progressive, but LCD TVs likely do the interlaced-to-progressive conversion onboard -- I think the consensus on here is that computer DVD playback will give you superior output to what you could get on most common television setups (INCLUDING LCD TVs). Run your DVDs with an ATI card and you can expect even better quality.

Both LCDs, though, have some trouble reproducing true blacks, so you won't get a picture as high-quality as you would on a direct-view CRT TV or CRT monitor.

I'd recommend an older dual model like the Samsung 170MP. It's got connections for both computer and TV tuner, so you can do both at the same time or switch between the two at your leisure. It's also a lot cheaper (and likely better) than buying a true TV LCD.

4. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

From what I saw, LCD TVs have much lower resolution than computer monitor LCDs. For $1200 CDN, I could get a Samsung LCD 19" monitor that has 1280x1024 resolution. VGA only, no speakers, but that's still a good deal compared to the TV LCDs, that are likely 720x480 resolution!

To make it even more confusing, the contrast ratio numbers for computer monitor LCDs are different from the LCD TVs. Marketing seems to think that LCD TVs have a higher contrast ratio.

Too bad they don't tell you the native resolution of LCD TVs.

5. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

I think perhaps some of it is the contrast and pixel response time? I would guess that LCD TVs are much more aggressive about good response time to eliminate ghosting images that cheap computer LCDs will get....just a guess.