What's new

LCD Calibration (1 Viewer)

Adam Sanchez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Adam
Is there a DVD out there for tweaking and calibrating specifically an LCD TV? I have The Avia disc... but it's feeling really dated. The darn thing isn't even in widescreen! Have they made a newer one maybe I don't know about?

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
The old AVIA works just fine for calibrating an LCD, just do not do the "needle bend" or the "blooming" contrast tests as these particular tests are for CRT only. You can use any contrast setting you want that distinguishes all the steps of the gray scale step test.

You can use the same overscan test pattern for both 4:3 and 16:9.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
The old AVIA works just fine for calibrating an LCD, just do not do the "needle bend" or the "blooming" contrast tests as these particular tests are for CRT only. You can use any contrast setting you want that distinguishes all the steps of the gray scale step test.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member

First off: I hear this over and over, the perception that Avia is for CRTs, while DVE is for digital displays, and it's just flat-out wrong. Patterns are patterns, and both discs contain MORE than enough standard patterns that you can use on many different kinds of displays to obtain basic and even very advanced calibration. The whole thing about Avia being "for CRTs" is based only on the video explanations that are contained on the disc, but the patterns are very much the same on DVE or the newer Avia PRO.

And I don't know what you mean about Avia not being widescreen, it has many widescreen test patterns.

And lastly, yes there is a newer Avia, but it is not an update or replacement, it is Avia PRO, it's a professional disc suite with more patterns than you'd ever want to hear about ;). And a pricetag to match, it's geared towards professionals or nutcases such as myself :).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks