LCD Bulb replacement

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Joe Rosiak, Aug 28, 2006.

1. Joe Rosiak

Joe Rosiak Agent

I just replaced my father-in-laws LCD bulb in his KDF50WE655 and now his colors appear to be off. The right quarter of the screen seems to be a bit green and the left quarter appears to be a bit red.
    Does anyone happen to know what would cause this type of thing?
    Would anyone be able to give me some pointers on how to correct this?

2. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

Was the old bulb completely dead? If not, put it back and compare the picture quality.

It is possible for the bulb capsule inside the replaceable assembly to be slightly misaligned causing problems such as you described. Alternatively just remove the bulb assembly and make sure that everything in that area is clean and dust free but be very careful not to bump or bend anything inside.

You would need a professional to clean dust from other areas inside that you cannot readily see or reach.

Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

3. Leo Kerr

Leo Kerr Screenwriter

also possible that the new lamp module didn't get seated quite all the way. Easiest thing to do is pull it and re-install it and compare.

Leo

4. orestes

orestes Second Unit

Sorry about my ignorance, but I thought that LCD displays did not need lamp replacement? Are we talking about an LCD RPTV here. I thought that when a flat LCD screen got old there is not much one can do to fix the PQ other than buying a new set. Can someone educate me? Thanks.

5. Joe Rosiak

Joe Rosiak Agent

Yes, this is a RPTV, and I believe you are correct about the LCD flat pannels.

6. Joe Rosiak

Joe Rosiak Agent

The old bulb actually burst, but did not break it's seal. However, I should be able to pull the bulb from my TV and compare it in his.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks for the advice!!! [​IMG]

7. Joe Rosiak

Joe Rosiak Agent

So I found that my father-in-laws mirror was pretty damn dirty and cleaned it. It made a huge difference in the clarity of the picture but the problem still exists.

Is there a way to tell if the lamp wasn't "Sealed" all the way when I installed it?

I found other sites that people had said their optical block was bad when they were getting a similar problem. Is there an easy way to determine this?

My father-in-law refuses to have a repair man come out to take a look at it, and I think it is a massive sin to allow any piece of HD equipment to work below it's full potential.

8. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

The old bulb burst? It's possible the burst caused damage.

9. Steve Berger

Steve Berger Supporting Actor

It's probably not the problem but you should check the "Image Revision" setting in one of the advanced meuns (if you haven't already).

10. Joe Rosiak

Joe Rosiak Agent

The seal on the bulb remained intact, so is it still possible that it could have cuased damage?

11. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Hmm, then not likely to no.

Very strange.