What's new

LCD backlight bleed (1 Viewer)

Paul_III

Agent
I bought a Samsung LN52B750 last summer, and for a while I thought it was a great TV. Then I moved into my new apartment and started noticing that the corners of the tv were bright during dark scenes or when just flipping channels etc. I then did some research and found that this apparently is a standard problem with LCD. As it stands now, I've tried all the tricks, lowering the backlight, etc but its done nothing. I cannot watch anything without immediately being distracted by the backlight bleed whenever a dark screen comes on. I'm not sure if when I moved (three blocks and the TV was placed in its original box) somehow we screwed something up? I'm torn right now between selling the TV for a huge loss (I spent $2300 on this thing and I'm guessing I'd be lucky to get 1400), or just taking a complete loss and taking it apart so I can see what causes this problem. Can anyone provide me with a technical explanation for this issue? I've heard all the explanations about screen uniformity, but without pictures or seeing it firsthand I can't grasp why this problem exists - do the TV manufacturers just not care??? I'm seriously bummed out about this, I have a $2300 paperweight in my living room because I just cannot watch anything on it because the problem irritates me so much. Is the only solution to buy a plasma? Ugh, I'm venting but I can honestly say buying this TV was the worst purchase I can think of.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
It's simply one of the flaws of LCD technology. I work with professional, studio LCD monitors and all of them exhibit the same problem to a greater or lesser degree.

The best way to minimize it is to watch with some ambient light.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks