LCD and Blotchy Blacks?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by scottCitron, Jul 4, 2006.

1. scottCitron

scottCitron Auditioning

Jul 4, 2006
    I just purchased my first HD TV, the Samsung LNS4092D. While I'm generally very happy with its image, I do notice that when broadcasting certain signals, dark areas appear very blotchy. For example, the other evening I was watching "Marathon Man" and was very disappointed in the picture when the movie displayed darker scenes. It wasn't that the blacks were so much milky, but square-ish and blotchy. BTW, my television is connected to the cable box via HDMI to DVI cable. Would component connections be preferable?

I'm also noticed that when viewing printed material (like the FBI warning that opens all videos), the type seems to burn itself in momentarily into the incoming scene. This despite a new Samsung DVD player with an upconverter and HDMI interface.

Conversely, when viewing HD content, everything looks amazing all the time.

My question is: 1) is what I'm seeing consistent with LCD technology?; 2) do I have a bad television?; 3) are these problems less apparent (or non-existent) with a plasma set?

Thanks very much in advance to all responders.
  2. Cavan.B

Cavan.B Stunt Coordinator

Aug 4, 2002
    I think the cable box problem (and some badly done DVDs) is simply MPEG-2 compression artifacts. HD over cable takes a lot of bandwith, and an inefficient codec like MPEG-2 will give varying results.

I've never heard of the "burn-in" issue; LCD's are inherently burn-proof, unlike plasmas.

I have a Westinghouse 32" LCD, and have been very happy overall. I don't think a plasma would change anything, as the problem is more likely the source material.

That is a nice set, though, so enjoy it and good luck.
  3. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Producer

Aug 20, 2000
    I think you should ask a moderator to move your post over to the "displays" forum. You would probably have better luck getting an answer to your question, since it is hardware related. That being said, one thing you could do is try using your component connections. If you still have the same problem then you can be reasonably sure that it is not an HDMI issue.