What's new

Layoffs Today.... (1 Viewer)

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
So I sit around and surf ze web waiting to hear if I stay or go...

15% reduction...My "cubicle neighbor" just got the axe...

SteveA

Supporting Actor
Good luck Colin. How horrible of them to leave you hanging like that! It's better when they do it swiftly. Let us know what happens.

Erik_C

Stunt Coordinator
Dude, what type of company lays someone off on a Monday? You pull yourself out of bed, struggle into the office after the weekend, and are greeted with a pink slip? What kind of crap is that?

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Probably the same type that lay people off a day or two before Christmas.

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
Yeah, I was laid off on December 17, 2001. Happy holidays, indeed. At least my former boss didn't send me a Christmas card.

Colin, check in when you can, and let us know what happened.

Mark Brewer

Stunt Coordinator
Got laid off the day Star Wars Episode IV: SPecial Edition was released. And then my friends girlfriend was late and we had to sit all the way up front and I had the left most seat.:angry: :angry:

Hope all goes well Colin

Martin Fontaine

Supporting Actor
Probably the same type that lay people off a day or two before Christmas.
Or worse, before your birthday! Happened to my dad last year.

As for before Christmas, maybe it's because it's before the end of the year, so therefore they don't have to send you any Income Tax receipt (Here it's called the T4, not sure what the US equiv. is) for the about to start year (Which means a whole year later) That's only a wild guess as the company I work for has fired/laid off a lot of people in december more than any other times of the year. (But it could be just a coincidence)

Phil Kim

Stunt Coordinator
My company got f'd last year. Short time later, I found another job that pays a bit more, has better benefits, and shorter work hours. Oh, the new company is also a ton more stable. Sometimes things happen for the best.

Jason_Els

Screenwriter
Jeez, Martin, give the guy a break. Nobody gets anything done on lay-off days. Surfing the web and looking for a little support from your online pals is perfectly natural.

I've been laid-off. The stress of lay-offs is horrendous on everyone in the office.

I hope things went well Colin. Hang-in there!

Jeff Hoak

Stunt Coordinator
I'm just waiting for the severence check to be placed in my hand. In the last year my employer has gone from a staff of 100+ down to 4 (including me). Being the net-admin for an office staff of 20 was pretty boring most of the time but now... I'm figuring that the drop-dead day is probably May 1st. Oh well...

On the bright side... The announced severence package will allow me to live for almost a year without worries or having to dip into the savings. I'm also looking at the possibility of trading consulting work for a local college for tuition that would allow me to finally finish up that BS.

All things considered being laid off will probably be one of the best things that ever happend to me.

I hope...

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
I'm STILL HERE!!!

Woo Hoo!!

NOW PICK UP A SHOVEL AND DIG!!

Maybe if you do some work instead of surfing, they'd choose someone else in the "Lay Off Lottery."
They did, and I surf on...

Actually, I'm so freakin' efficient, I work 2x more than anyone else and yet have 4x the free time.

Dean Cooper

Supporting Actor
Dude, what type of company lays someone off on a Monday? You pull yourself out of bed, struggle into the office after the weekend, and are greeted with a pink slip? What kind of crap is that?
Hell thats nothing, last time I got laid off I got an 8% raise on a Friday before a long weekend, then got my pink slip the following Tuesday. Fucking bastards...not that I'm bitter or anything.

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
No raises here for the past 2 years - We used to get profit sharing - none for 3 years.

Not even cost-of-living increases.

Worst of all, my wife works the 2nd shift here, too, so it's been pretty crappy income-wise.

BUT

I have a job, a house, and a home theater.

I will now stop complaining and get to work.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks