Layer changes on concert DVD's?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Andrew Bunk, Dec 15, 2003.

1. Andrew Bunk

Andrew Bunk Screenwriter

Just starting to get my feet wet on concert DVD's. The first one I watched this weekend was Steve Vai's Live at the Astoria London. Awesome show BTW-great PQ and audio, wish it was 16:9 though.

Anyway, the show itself was almost 2.5 hours. For some reason they decided to put the layer change in the middle of a song.

Is this common? They could have easily put it between songs IMO. I found it very disruptive, as it was not a graceful change.

2. Mark Bendiksen

Mark Bendiksen Screenwriter

Wow! The middle of the song??? That's insane! I only own about half a dozen concert DVDs, but I can tell you that none of them contain a layer break in the middle of a song. Yikes!

3. Alan_P

Alan_P Extra

In the Genesis: The Way We Walk DVD the layer change happens in the middle of songs on BOTH discs!

4. Andrew Bunk

Andrew Bunk Screenwriter

This just sounds like careless planning to me. I've heard the same thing about Joe Satriani Live in SF. It sounds like someone is either placing the layer change at either the exact half-way mark or they are filling up layer 1 entirely. You think they could spend the few extra minutes to find a good spot for it.

5. GlennH

GlennH Cinematographer

Glenn
    Lousy DVD authoring.

The same is true of many movies, where the layer change could easily be placed to be much less jarring. I sometimes see it in a very noticeable place only a few seconds away from a black screen scene change.

6. James Edward

James Edward Supporting Actor

And I thought I was the only one...
    The 'Yes-Symphonic Live' disc has a nasty layer change right in the middle of Starship Troopers. I couldn't believe it when I first saw it- I thought my power went off for a second. But it's there, every time.
    In fact, I started a thread asking if layer changes were assignable or random, because I could not believe they chose the middle of a song for one. Oh well.

7. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

Prince's Rave Unto the Year 2000 does this too- I've seen a few discs, including Deer Hunter, that have seamless changes on ANY player, why don't all discs do that?