What's new

Layer change (1 Viewer)

Rex.G

Stunt Coordinator
Does anyone know of a DVD player that handles layer changes well? Currently I am using Toshiba SD3750 and layer changes on it are always jarring and disruptive. I'd like to find a player that will run smooth right over layer changes.

Anyone got ideas??

Steve_L_B

Stunt Coordinator
I don't think you will see much of an improvement with the DVD-910. The only players with a large enough buffer to completely eliminate the layer change delay are the Denon DVD-2900 and DVD-5900 (possibly also the 2200, not sure). Some of the other Denon models are relatively fast, but still exhibit a delay under worst-case situations.

-Steve

Steve_L_B

Stunt Coordinator
Lee,
I used to have a similar Toshiba DVD player and I now have a Denon DVD-1600. The 1600 has a 3MB buffer and it still has a noticable layer change. If you check out these Secrets results, you will see that the layer change for the 910 is even longer than the 1600. I'm sure the 910 is a good player, but I don't think it will significantly improve the layer change performance over the Toshiba.

Regards,
Steve

Matthew Todd

Second Unit
An HTPC may not be an option for you, but since I switched from a stand alone DVD player to the HTPC, I have not noticed even one layer change in 6 months of having the HTPC.

Matt

The Void

Agent
Real Name
Jason
The Denon DVD-910's layer change probably won't be any better than your old Toshiba. It wasn't any better than my old Toshiba SD-1200.

The Denon DVD-2200's layer change is seamless just like the 2900. Both the 2200 and 2900 have 8MB buffers giving invisible layer changes. The video section in both players is virtually identical.

Rex.G

Stunt Coordinator
I had never considered a HTPC before, but thats a great idea! does anyone know of a good link for DIY HTPC?

Pat Donoh

Auditioning
Ironically, many "cheap" players based on DVD-ROM drives have lightning-fast layer changes.

You could check out something like the Malata 520 which is a very good multi-region player and handles tough RSDL layer changes extremely well. The Cyberhome CH-500 is virtually seamless, and may be a little faster than the Malata. Most layer changes are invisible on these players, even ones that are poorly placed in the film.

Matthew Todd

Second Unit

Check out the forum area here for "Computers and HTPCs." There is another "HTPC" forum over at avsforum.com that also has lots of good info.

I had never assembled my own computer before, but it wasn't very hard, even if you've never done it.

I've got a P4 2.4 GHz, 512 MB of Ram, a liteon DVD drive, and a Radeon 9000 video card, and TheaterTek software DVD player, all in a good looking black case. I spent about $700 on everything, not bad at all for what it does. I think the most important thing that I read over and over again was to get a Radeon video card (basically any of them) as they give the best DVD video out.

Matt

Rex.G

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the info everyone! I am going to look into converting my pc into a a HTPC.

Thanks again!!

Chester II

Stunt Coordinator
Dudes,

My Denon 1600 dvd player has the occasional layer change. My htpc has never shown any layer changes......amazing.

Dudes,

Chester II

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks