Layer Cake R2 - anyone having problems?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Bleddyn Williams, Jun 14, 2005.

1. Bleddyn Williams

Bleddyn Williams Supporting Actor

Bleddyn Williams
    Has anyone had any trouble playing this? My trusty region-free Malata 996 has taken a couple of hundred discs from other regions without ever having a hiccup - but I'm having trouble here...

The disc menus come up as normal, and all pages can be accessed. However, when I try to play the film, the Columbia logo comes on in 2.35:1, but then it jumps to the copyright screen and back to the main menu! I can't access the film via chapter select either.

If there was a region coding issue, wouldn't it just have refused to play the disc?

I opened my Malata paperwork and found the key sequence (hold CLEAR for 5 seconds, press 2, press PLAY) to "select a region" as opposed to region 0. I've NEVER had to do this, but it didn't work either.

On my upstairs DVD-ROM, set to R2, I could get the film to work. Haven't had a chance to try it on any other codefree players yet.

Anyone else having issues?

2. Mark_Wilson

Mark_Wilson Screenwriter

I had this problem on an old, manual region switching, JVC SA-75 player. Worked ok in my Panny Xp50 though.

3. Bleddyn Williams

Bleddyn Williams Supporting Actor

Bleddyn Williams
    Judging by feedback here and elsewhere, it only seems to have trouble with a few machines. Unfortunately mine is one of them!

To add insult to injury, the US version looks to have all the specs of the UK one. The only potential downside is its being listed as one disc, which would be a horrible cram. Hopefully as release date approaches it'll turn out to be a 2-disc set too.

This is the only disc I've ever had trouble with. What a culture shock!

4. Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov Cinematographer

Yeah, it is a Malata problem. I "region freed" my Denon 2910 and watched Layer Cake on it last night -- no problems.

Quite apart from anything to do with Region coding, I think that it is difficult to survive with only one DVD player. Some DVD will always cause compatibility problems. The Achilles heel on the Malata are subtitles -- there is a definite bug there that causes them to fly by on certain discs. I'm glad to have a second region free DVD player now.

Ted

5. Christopher Jay

FWIW, I didn't have any problem playing Layer Cake on my Malata 393A. I'm thinking the R1 release might not include the insert with the Empire article by Matthew Vaughn and the interview with Daniel Craig or the Audio Description Track, which is one of the most unintentionally funny extras I've ever heard. "Freddie messily masticates a full English breakfast. Freddie lights a fag." It's like hearing a kid's primer version of the whole movie!

6. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    Any evidence for that?

From what I read here, it looks more like a DVD problem, but no one can be certain from the evidence given.
    Did you try it on another machine? Can you take it to the store and have it tested there?

Cees

7. Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov Cinematographer

Yes, I watched it on my Denon, it played fine. And no, I can't bring it back to the store -- I bought it from Virgin in London -- and I'm home in NYC now.
    Anyway, it will not play on Malata 996 or 520, but will on other Malata models as well as any other DVD player.

If you want to call it a DVD defect -- it is up to you.

Ted

8. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    Ted,

You too had a problem playing Layer Cake on a Malata 996?

Cees

9. Elizabeth S

Elizabeth S Producer

Elizabeth S
    I have a Philips 727. Like a poster on another forum, it froze during the opening credits. However, a little nudge on the fast forward and everything was fine. I watched most of the extras, too, and all played fine. While the Philips suits my modest multi-regional needs, it can be a bit quirky so the freeze is not necessarily exclusive to the "Layer Cake" DVD.

I enjoyed the movie and am glad I finally got to see it. I did see a trailer for it last week at the theatre, so it may be coming to the arthouse as well.