What's new

Layer Cake opinions? (1 Viewer)

StephenP

Stunt Coordinator
I totally missed out on this film, although I like the director's earlier work. Anyone seen it and have opinions?

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Eh. Stylish enough, nice cast, but a little overstuffed and not quite as clever as it thinks it is. I enjoyed seeing it once, but don't see the need to see it again.

Ryan L. Bisasky

Second Unit
although I like the director's earlier work. Anyone seen it and have opinions?

this is his first director's movie, but he was producer on snatch and lock stock and 2 smoking barrells.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
If this helps a little, little bit: I ordered it unseen, but based on a few reviews I trust and judged.
It's shipped, but I haven't received it yet, so that's all I can say for now, unfortunately.

Cees

John J Nelson

Stunt Coordinator
I bought this when it came out, having seen it at the cinema.

I thought it was a great film, stylish and absorbing. I admired what the director was trying to achieve with his first movie. In the booklet that comes with the R2, Matthew Vaughn is quoted as saying that he shot the film in 2.35:1 with anamorphic lenses because he admired the 'look' of films that were made this way.

I suspect there are a few other directors around today (notably PT Anderson) that shoot in anamorphic scope for this reason :)

-- J.

PS - I didn't bother with either Lock, Stock or Snatch. I liked Layer Cake because it was a serious drama, the former movies got on my nerves with their comedy cockney gangsters :)

Kain_C

Screenwriter
It was very well made and stylish to boot, but I was a little disappointed compared to all of the hype it got. As someone else nicely put it, it wasn't as clever as it thought it was or should have been. I need to see it again though as this was a few months ago.

Without spoiling of course, I will say the ending totally perturbed me.

Two films that are easily superior to Layer Cake. I couldn't help but realizing this as I watched it, which may say a little or a lot.

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
Thumbs up from me. Viewed it on the R2 release a while back. (I'm a fan of both "Snatch" and "Lock, Stock" -- this is a darker vein, though.)

Whoops! I'm too green to post a shamelessly self-serving link to the Bits review, but if you look it up, it's there.

Ebert and that Other Guy Version: :thumbsdown:

Greg Black

Second Unit
I just got done watching this movie. It wasn't really a comedy like the packaging is trying to make out, but I really enjoyed it for what it was. To be fair, there were quite a number of good laugh out loud parts though. I'd recommend it to anyone who likes a good crime film.

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
It's a good film, but I also agree that anyone looking for a Lock, Stock or Snatch sequel will be disappointed. The film doesn't attempt to be humorous outside of some relatively funny situations. It's more serious crime drama in the vein of Goodfellas or Blow.

Daniel Craig is good, but the real treat was watching Michael Gambon as the heavy.

A question, when did the movie get the 'number for letter' conversion? When I saw it in the theater, the poster and marquee didn't show it as L4yer Cake to my recollection, but the DVD is well marked as such. Did I just miss it or is this some form of making the movie more 'hip'?

I get the impression that the upcoming movie Revolver is going to closer in tone to this movie than either of Guy Ritchie's other gangster movies, so it will be interesting to see what becomes of that/

A question, when did the movie get the 'number for letter' conversion? When I saw it in the theater, the poster and marquee didn't show it as L4yer Cake to my recollection, but the DVD is well marked as such. Did I just miss it or is this some form of making the movie more 'hip'?

There is a Poster Exploration gallery on the DVD showing the permutations the poster design went through and toward the end, there's one that is like the final, but actually has the A where the 4 ended up.

"Se7en", anyone? Forget about it, Jake. It's graphic design.

Jacob McCraw

Stunt Coordinator
I saw this last night. I love gangster/crime movies and this just seemed like an amalgamation of a lot of movies that came before it. I know, most films are but tell me the ending didn't remind you of Carlito's Way
. Very stylish, I loved the opening in the drugstore, but forgettable at the end of the day.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks