1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Lay down your sacrifices at the altar of Fight Club! The definitive FC worship thread

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Paul_D, Mar 4, 2002.

1. Paul_D

Paul_D Cinematographer

For far too long, the masterpiece Fight Club has gone without a proper, deliriously complementary worship thread.
    For many its the best film of the decade. The perfect union of dark humor, brilliant script, wonderful, moody cinematography, impeccable special effects, 3 out-of-this world central performances, and THE most inventive direcion this side of 2001! Its high time that an opportunity was presented for us to put down your thoughts, for a definitive, lasting demonstration of the impact that Fight Club has had on our lives.
    Kneel before your GOD!

2. Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer Lead Actor

Chuck Mayer
    I must agree. That said, Paul, I must rave on and on regarding the forthcoming opus, Panic Room, which will likely be a lesser film, but stars the radiant Jodie, who also does not receive enough praise.

That said, Fight Club will be remembered long after these "event" movies and Academy "darlings" are dust.

Know that,

Chuck

3. Chris Harvey

Chris Harvey Second Unit

I'm convinced that in 20 or 30 years FIGHT CLUB will be seen as one of the defining movies for the Gen X/Y generation, much as films like THE GRADUATE, EASY RIDER, and CARNAL KNOWLEDGE led the charge of the boomer generation.

4. Josh_Hill

Josh_Hill Screenwriter

I love this film. It will stand the test of time I believe and will be seen 20/30 years from now the way Natural Born Killers will be and the way Clockwork Orange is.

5. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

I like it. Coming from me, a person who is usually horribly picky and snobby, that is no small praise.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go sell some soap...

6. Andrew_Sch

Andrew_Sch Cinematographer

7. Mick Wright

Mick Wright Second Unit

This is a chemical burn...

8. Tom Ryan

Tom Ryan Screenwriter

My second favorite film of all time. This one hit me like a ton of bricks.

-Tom

9. Chris Lynch

Chris Lynch Stunt Coordinator

The Durden is my shepherd, I shall not want.

Easily one of my favorite movies of all time.

Here's to Fincher and a long, prolific, and distinguished career.

10. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

I must say that I consider Fight Club to be among the "perfect movies" that I have been fortunate enough to experience. Just the thought of all that had to come together to bring it in such an innovative way. This movie has absolutely everything for me. It has acting that is both brave and full of conviction. It has humor with a point. It has a message that I find both intriguing and relevant in ways that no other movie has been in my lifetime. It has direction that somehow manages not to distract from the story and the actors despite the fact that it contains so many camera tricks and unusual setups that it balances precariously close to overshadowing the rest of the film. And then there is the dialogue. Ahhhh, the dialogue. Perfectly captures the scenes, and not a single mistake in the acting.

I love this film, and am proud to have seen it in theaters and own it on DVD.

Great thread!

11. Martin Fontaine

Martin Fontaine Supporting Actor

I liked it too... I've been meaning to buy it on DVD for awhile now but never got around to it... Whenever there is a good "Release Hole" I will pick it up... (Maybe when I upgrade my speakers - I will need demo disks!)

12. MichaelPe

MichaelPe Screenwriter

An "HTF Fight Club worship thread" wouldn't be complete without...
    [​IMG]

13. AbelM

AbelM Second Unit

Yes this is my favorite movie if all time...however Memento is in a very close second.

"The Durden is my shepherd, I shall not want."

-Amen

14. Sam Hatch

Sam Hatch Stunt Coordinator

If my ceaseless babbling about this film in other threads isn't convincing enough, then let me reassure thee that I too love the Club of Fight!

15. Artur Meinild

Artur Meinild Screenwriter

Fight Club is definitely a very, very good movie. Not my all time favorite, but it's probably in my top 10. [​IMG] [​IMG]

16. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

One of my all-time favorites. Constantly moving up my list...and probably the most-watched DVD in my collection. God I love Fincher...

17. BrandonL

BrandonL Stunt Coordinator

I saw the movie in the afternoon the day it came out, and since then it has been my favorite movie. I was talking to my mom about it the other day and she was saying how its like a more violent version of Beautiful Mind. Kinda interesting I thought. I have one question. What is the significance of him making soap? My girlfriend was asking that, and I had no idea except that it just sounds cool, along with not really needing much responsibility to make and sell the stuff.

18. Peter Kim

Peter Kim Screenwriter

Gaaacck (my homage to Opus)!!!! Someone, please take Photoshop away from Michael Perez! [​IMG]
    Yeah, yeah,..I know, everyone's got their own thing. And yeah, yeah...we're all supposed to be respectful of one another's opinions and taste. But...
    I can dismiss when someone doesn't feel as strongly as I do about FC. Or even if they're neutral...fine.
    But I have unconsciously used FC as a litmus test for intelligence and taste. Whenever someone stops by my place and examines my dvd collection, invariably FC triggers discussion. And when they make comments in the order of 'geez, this movie sucked' or 'this movie like, totally lost me', I have to grimace.
    Then I kick the son's of bitches out of my house. [​IMG] (well, I do.) If you don't get 'it', sigh, I think some of your cylinders aren't firing. Really, confess...tell me some of you guys aren't the same.
    Ironically, I believe FC is like a fine bordeaux - it gets better as it ages, particularly if you've drunken from this intoxicating ambrosia before. There are just so many layers.
    This is a worship thread...so I hope my comments are put into context. If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen...because I'm busy making soap.

19. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

Him making soap has implications on many separate layers. First, it represents Tyler as the hands on laborer in contrast to Narrator's desk job. Second, it provides for the explosives and the method for separating the Narrator from his flaming shit. Third, it speaks to the fleecing the rich and complacent of their money from their own vain medical waste (which is a point made specifically in the film). Fourth, it introduces the actual term "human sacrifices" to the movie, which it plays on later on. Logically, the soap is made of human sacrifices, and is basically the initial foundation for Fight Club, then Project Mayhem, and then the liberation of the Narrator from Tyler.

That's just my take on soap and Fight Club. Of course, you know we're all just breaking rule #1 and #2 by even having this thread.

20. Shawn C

Shawn C Screenwriter

I thought the making soap was just a front so it would be easier to acquire the materials for making the bombs.

I don't think it was anything deep or philosophical. I believe the soap-making and bomb-making process is pretty close to the same thing, at least the kind of bombs he was making.

If anyone ever asked him was he was doing with his various chemicals, he could show them the soap.