What's new

Lawsuits are now a form of publicity stunt (1 Viewer)

Julian Lalor

Supporting Actor
Chalk this down to another "Only in America" story.

A Knoxville, Tennessee woman has decided that the Superbowl Half-Time show has caused serious injury for which she should be compensated with compensatory and punitive damages. Obviously, this will be thrown out of Court, but one has to ask, (a) is there any discretion of the Courts to refuse Complaints being lodged (b) where do these people come from and how can anyone be this desperate for attention that they are happy to be ridiculed and (b) what kind of lawyer would allow themsevles to be associated with this kind of stunt?

Check out the complaint on Smoking Gun:

Janet Jackson ruined my life

You gotta love this.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:: laugh:

C'mon, let's all go to the court and laugh as hard as we can.

Mark Shannon

Screenwriter
Oh dear. Now that's jsut pathetic.

Funny though, because I was thinking of another lawsuit that will probably come up soon (if it already hasn't): on the satellite that was sent out into space, with a plaque representing all of human kind; someone will probably sue NASA for unpermitted misrepresentation or something like that.

Jason Pancake

Stunt Coordinator
I wonder if a "loser pays" system would help in situations like this. The loser pays the legal fees of the other party. I suppose they can always counter-sue to collect legal fees.

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
i'm going to sue this woman, these phony pawsuits are causing me emotional grief, and i want to be compensated. sounds stupid, doesnt it?

CJ

MikeH1

Screenwriter
Real Name
Billy
At the rate these more and more ludicrous lawsuits occur I can't wait to see what kind of stuff people will be sueing for in 20 years.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Yeah, but it's actualy more reasonable than her lawsuits. She's only doing it for the publicity, you actually can't stand all of these lawsuits, because they're not only a waste of your money, but every other taxpayer's money as well.

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
So if I go to a strip joint, can I claim grevious injuries and emotional distress for each boobie I see?

*Grabbing the yellow pages for LAWYERS listing*

I'm gonna make a mint!

Seriously...just when you think lawsuits couldn't get stupider.... *sigh*

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I don't know about you, but I'm routing for her...If she wins, I (along with everyone in America) will get to split the settlement!!!! :D

Big Bucks! Big Money! No Whammys............STOP!

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
They should bring this to court. Then they read the claim. The judge should then call this woman up to the bench, smack her upside her head and yell, "Grow up, stupid!" Bang the gavel, case dismissed.

Now that would be worth my tax dollars.

Colin Davidson

Second Unit

This idea has been discussed in the past as a way to clean up our civil legal system. Many advocates for the poor/ACLU believe that this would have a "chilling" effect on people who do have a case in which they have been damaged but would not necessarily file the case for fear of losing and being billed money they do not have.

It is unfortunate there could not be some form of "review" process where the opponents would file briefs with a judge or panel that would determine the merits of proceeding and have the say on whether a case would go forward or be rejected out of hand.

On a lighter note, when she fails at this case she can sue her parents for emotional distress everytime she undresses and has to look at her own breasts in the mirror. Or perhaps sue mirror manufacturers....:D

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben

There is such a procedure. It goes by different technical names depending on the venue, but the generic term is a "motion to dismiss". That's how the obseity case against McDonald's got tossed so quickly.

M.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Or those who have a legitimate case, but the defense has a high priced lawyer (i.e Johnny Cockrin) ;)

It would doubly suck to lose a case that you should have won and then pay all that money.

Erik.Ha

Supporting Actor
I'm an attorney, and I agree... People who bring frivolous lawsuits should be locked up WITH their lawyers.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Now, now, we have laws against cruel and unusual punishment. I'd say eing locked up with your lawyer qualifes and on top of it all he/she keeps telling you, "By the way, you do know I'm still on retainer. Our stay together is costing you three hundred bucks a day. Thanks, bud." :)

Ryan Tsang

Second Unit
I don't know where she came up with this crap. I did not suffer outrage. I was not angered. I was not embarrassed. And I certainly was not injured.

I don't know about you guys, but I was eager to get home from work the Monday after, to check out some pics!

Stupid biyatch.

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member
Just when I thought this country couldn't get any stupider, somebody goes ahead and proves me wrong.

If this case goes anywhere, I'll be pissed beyond belief.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
in jest...

Yes, everyone knows that bare breasted women run amuck in Canada so there should be no reason why they would be offended, whereas you'd [sarcasm]NEVER[/sarcasm] see a bare breasted woman in America.

This case would make more sense if it was Michael Jacksons bare breast. :laugh:

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks