Lawsuit Lunacy.

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Alex-C, Feb 24, 2004.

1. Alex-C

Alex-C Screenwriter

it's official....I've gone crazy. And I know I've gone crazy, not by the pinwheels in my eyes, but by what I see around me.

[​IMG]

2. Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen Producer

Well. It's official. I have now seen everything.

Jeez...

Yah. Amongst other things. Like crappy parenting perhaps???

3. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm

Hmmmm....that sounds very familiar. I think I just read that somewhere, in another thread perhaps. [​IMG]

I tell ya, it's epidemic these days.

4. Chet_F

Chet_F Supporting Actor

""He wanted to die ... he was having problems at school ... he was having people harassing him, hazing," she said."

It's funny how people judge without knowing the facts. Schools ARE required to provide for a safe and secure environment. If she was aware of the hazing problem and was actively attempting to get the school to deal with the problem, i.e. a unsafe and unsecure environment, the the onus is on the SCHOOL to explain why they failed. Now they may or may have not done that but to ASSUME they did is erroneous on your part.

I guess I have a unique perspective, i.e. I was this kid until I used brut force to solve it, the teachers never did. Once that was done I no longer had any significant harrasments. Fortunately my scenario went in the direction I wanted. Most kids aren't that forunate though and I should have never been PUSHED to that point.

I guess my MAIN point is that kids, for the most part, would never even fathom these ideas if schools provided for a safe and secure environment free from both physical and psychological abuse. This CLEARLY is not being done as time and time again I see these surface in the news, etc. Clearly I am not saying this child does not have some serious issues if he feels the only way out of the problem is killing but the problem still remains, i.e. abuse from other students.

It's soooo easy to gloss over THAT FACT by simply stating "Oh they must have been bad parents" or "That kid must just be EVIL" as if he was born that way. Kids are shaped into the people they become from a variety of sources, parents, extended family, sister, brother, but MOST importantly school. A child has the MOST social interaction while in school and considerably less once at home(MTV Generation, PS2, etc).

I guess I see this as a problem - i.e. the schools not providing for a safe a secure environment - but I see nothing being done.

Later

5. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

And if I went to that school, I'd sue the kid for premeditated murder and then build in some large compensation for pain and suffering for this mother who has now scared me for life for telling me about this plan on my school. And also for sending an unstable kid (who is suicidal) to my school. [​IMG] I mean, I can no longer go to school out of fear for my life, so this woman should be responsible for paying me 2 million dollars.

If suing is the only thing people know how to do when they won't take responsibility for their own actions, then use it against them.

SUE THE LAWSUITS!!!!

6. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

If all your kid is doing when he gets home is watch MTV and play PS2, that constitutes bad parenting IMHO.

7. Ryan Wishton

Ryan Wishton Screenwriter

If things were this bad at school like the mother claims, she should have attempted to do something about it previously... Thats if she knew about it...

Now you could claim that the school wouldnt do anything anyways??? Probably right... But, this person didnt even attempt...

High School Counslers are worthless... The one I had was worthless for suggestions in picking classes let along anything else... What classes do I need for college??? I dont know... All answers were I dont know... Why again are these people counslers??? I couldnt imagine going to the person for a personal problem and wouldnt have wanted to...

A High School Counsler is not a therapist...

If things were extremely severe, schools could have been switched, switch to private school, tutoring, etc...

I do get sick of hearing about Bad Parenting... Everything is bad parenting no matter what... Sure, some of it is... Not all of it...

You could be the best parent in the world and your child can still end up messed up...

Why do some people with the worst parents ever end up decent and pretty well rounded??? They didnt have anyone... They built themselves up by themselves...

People love to play the blame game... Every single problem they must have someone to point a finger at... And people ask why is the media so popular???

Parenting is a gamble...

In many cases, the parents do ruin and make things worse... I agree... Not all the time... Sometimes, you just get bad end of the stick...

There is no thing as a born bad child??? I dont believe that... For example, many Serial killers start off by killing animals at 4 and 5... I have a hard time believing it was because of bad parenting...

8. Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen Producer

Chet, I hear you, and in some ways agree. Perhaps I was quick to jump to an assumption there. However, I agree with Dave as well.

The only thing we're sure on is that we don't have all the facts.

I mean, if the parents KNEW there were issues, why didn't they pull the child and send him to a different school? Or some other form of intervention? (It certainly sounds like the Mom in question was aware of how bad her son had it...when she mentions hazing and froshing and such. )

While they may have been after the counselors to help, how do we know that the counselors didn't TRY, and were ignored by the kid? THAT is certainly possible.

I'm sorry, but I don't think kids get to the point of KILLING other kids if they have the ability to go to their parents for assistance. A broad brush? Perhaps...but that is my belief on this subject.

Also, the suit says something about the som being a victim of "false accusations." Uh... such as? The kids were charged with conspiracy-to-commit. Is there evidence to back that up? The article doesn't mention the charges being dropped, so we can only surmise that the investigation continues on that front...

That all being said, the main point of this whole discussion is this: how is a lawsuit going to help their child?

Lawsuits seem to be the answer for everything these days...and that is just plain wrong.

9. MarkHastings

A good parent wouldn't show his/her child that you can just sue people when they make you upset without trying to rectify the situation as best you can, first.

What morals is this woman teaching her son? When life gets hard, sue those who you want to blame?

10. Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen Producer

Reminds me of a silly-arse suit up here recently. Some hockey-dad sued his 9-year-old's team and association over the fact that his kid didn't get on the team that Dad THOUGHT he should be on. Eventually, the Dad dropped the suit, but still... a NINE-year old for cryin' out loud. Great message to send him...

11. Ryan Wishton

Ryan Wishton Screenwriter

Tony,

That Hockey Lawsuit just sounds stupid.... [​IMG]

This lawsuit seems greedy as well... The kid was a threat to the school... No matter what happened, he shouldnt have done it...

I agree that this lawsuit is a very, extremely, bad message to send... Does this mean when the kid is 30, he will just attack someone and then sue them saying they made him do it???

If things are so severe you cant stand it anymore, just leave and go somewhere else...

If the parents knew things were severe and did nothing about it in the years that it took to get to this point, then I agree... Bad Parenting...

12. Alex-C

Alex-C Screenwriter

And if you cain't be...with the one you love...honey...sue the one you're with...doo.do.doo.do.do.doo.dit.dit

13. Mark Murphy

Mark Murphy Supporting Actor

Chet,
    That makes two of us. When I was a freshman (1990), I got slammed hard into some lockers by a senior from behind. Reason being, he didn't like the way I was dressed (Hip Hop style) and since I was a freshman, I deserved it. There was a teacher standing right there when it happened and did nothing. When my mother found out, she notified the principal and was told "He (the tough senior) is a good kid. If he does a hundred good things for the school, why should he be punished for one bad thing?". Anyway, the only way to stop that was to defend myself and boy did I. When the word spread, especially when everyone heard my mother got involved,I was a walking target. From then on, when someone said something to me, I hit them. I didn't push them, I didn't say "you wanna go?". Nope, I just decked them right in the chest. After a few of those incidents, nobody F*cked w/me. I am a very laid back and pretty non-violent person. I just had to take a jailhouse mentality because the school administration proved they would do nothing to protect me. I never looked for trouble but I never let anyone pick on me, either.

14. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

I have this strange sense of Deja Vu in this thread. [​IMG]

As for the lawsuit...where are the facts? I guess it is too early to tell. Although, a lawsuit is a great way to get media attention, since it seems nothing else will nowadays. Maybe it will shine a spotlight on the problem of bad school administration...

15. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

As Springfield Police Chief Wiggum says, "The law is powerless to help you, not punish you."

16. Alex-C

Alex-C Screenwriter

Yet another....

A 13-year old has been arrested on charges of threatening to blow up an elementary school in the small town of --.

Investigators who questioned the teen say he admits to making the threats because he was falling behind in school. The student was placing the blame on his teachers and the school, according to authorities.

Just so I understand....I am doing poorly in school, and I think its your fault...so....I need to blow you up.

17. MarkHastings

Oh no Alex, you just placed thoughts in my head of blowing up a school. If I get arrested, can I blame you? [​IMG]

18. chris_everett

chris_everett Second Unit

Well, when schools are so bad that we are best off telling our kids to respond to bullying with force, maybe it is time to start sueing them.

Schools need to learn about the concept of "Rule of Law" It's no wonder that kids are violent when it's the "Law of the Jungle"

19. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

Best advice my dad ever gave me was to respond to bullying with force. I only had to fight once and they left me alone. Had to fight another guy who was picking on my sister, he left her alone after that. My father always said "Never start a fight, but make sure you end it". Funny, I responded to violence with violence, but I never thought about killing anyone. Of course, this was in the days where schools were not paralyzed by liability and there was no "zero tolerance" for somebody defending themselves from violence, making the poor slob who stands up to a bully just as guilty as the one doing the bullying.

20. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

I always had problems with kids in school. I got into fights and such, but never thought about blowing everyone away. I at least had some kids who would help me get back at the other ones who wouldn't leave me alone. This one kid repeatedly bothered and hounded me all the time and finally everyone got sick of it so they cornered him in the locker room for me and I confronted him right there and ended up fighting and beating the crap outta him, though after that he left me alone. He tormented me for close to 4 years but I never once thought about killing him, only kicking his ass. I even tried making friends with him.