What's new

Lawrence of Arabia tops list of Greatest Movie Epics (1 Viewer)

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
I'm pleased to see THE RIGHT STUFF on the list. Is that the only film in the history of cinema that falls under the "historical space epic" sub-genre?

I would swap #2 and #49 on the above list. 2001 should be much higher, and BEN-HUR is overrated, in my opinion. That film is so dry, I practically have to empty the sand out of my shoes when I finish watching it.

I agree that HOW THE WEST WAS WON and SEVEN SAMURAI are glaring omissions.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
For the benefit of Americans, I think it's my duty as a Brit to point out that Total Film is not exactly Sight and Sound or Cahiers du Cinema.

It reads like a list put together by people who are very anxious to show that along with popcorn flicks that they really like they have a sensitive cultural side. Thus, there's the token foreign language film (Ran) in the top ten. Jolly good, whoever compiled the list have heard about Kurosawa. Come back when you've seen Seven Samurai and Red Beard, kids. And whilst we're about it, please can someone explain how La Reine Margot got on the list and by what possible criteria it can be rated as higher than 2001? Ditto Out of Arrfrikka. On second thoughts, don't bother explaining. It's a silly little list that has already wasted enough of my time.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Monty Python and the Holy Grail is possibly one of the funniest films ever made, but it's not an epic.

I'm very pleased to see Napoleon (the GREATEST of the silent epics, IMO), Lawrence of Arabia, 2001: A Space Odyssey, and Ben-Hur on the list.

However, Around the World in Eighty Days (1956) really should have been there in place of "Holy Grail."

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou

Bring it on... dude.:D

Other omissions on that list include The Good The Bad and the Ugly (which btw I've just watched tonight in very nice remastered form), Zulu and Waterloo.

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
Despite it all, there are some great films on that list. Some of them a bit over-stuffed. Maybe not all epics definitively, but larger.

Steve, that is the best sig pic so far. Bring it on!? Dude, "it's already been broughtin'." I will let you try my Wu-Tang style. :D

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member

Well stop posting dumb lists. :D :D :D

Why this grief just because someone has the temerity to disagree with you? In any case, my beef is with the *list* not you, mate.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou

What's wrong with that list you pompous 'Brit'?:D :D :D Look at it again, most of those films are pretty respectable aren't they? Not a Scooby-Doo in sight.;)

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
One thing wrong with the list is that the list makers don’t know the meaning of the word epic.

Check out the OED, if you think that they are on target.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
I like the list too. Some truly great epics that still more than hold their own today, and some new epics that stand with them. :emoji_thumbsup:

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler

Lew, I think you point out a valid discrepancy. I also agree with the examples you gave minus Children of Paradise. In the case of that film, we would then need to break down the word hero. Defining hero as the principal character in a play, movie etc. I feel in some form Garance is our hero. I would like to hear further analysis of COP.

If these large films listed are not epics, I just don't know what other term to identify them with.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou

Ho-hum.

Epic: A long poem, film or book portraying heroic deeds or covering an extended period of time.

Well that takes care of most of the films on the list then, inc Monty Python and the Holy Grail, and it's not stated how long a film should be before it could be termed 'epic'.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks